Gym Night

Gym+Night

Malcolm Connors, Sports Editor

Gym Night. The name rings out tension and suspense from the return of students from winter break, until the fall of the final pom-pom, decreeing a winner of this decade’s long tradition. As we rapidly approach February 28th, the majority of the student body prepares to represent their color and bring home a win for their grade. However, while there is a huge weight of importance for each participant to learn all their steps, the brunt of the responsibility falls upon each colors’ grade captain, and the crème de la crème of Gym Night: The Color Captains.

The position of gym night captain, simply, is broken down into many smaller jobs So, to ensure a team victory you have to not only show proficiency in various facets, but display the correct leadership skills to get voted in by their peers of their specific color team. A job of this magnitude requires a lot of dedication and an extremely determined work ethic. After sitting down with several captains at different grades, the true scope of all events a captain needs to attend.

“We have to go to mural on Saturday morning, to help paint the big thing that goes up on gym night…we have to make posters, meet throughout the week with other captains; just lots of meeting throughout the week to come up with dances and music,” says Gianna Fragoso, a 11th grade captain for the blue team.  

However, the real battleground for the race to the 28th goes through the practices. Students give up their precious evenings to dedicate themselves to learn all of the steps to the various teams’ dances. Occurring on an irregular schedule, 2 hours at a time, it’s not always easy to get everyone syncopated under one accord. With hard work and successful cooperation between captains and their peers.

The closer we get to that Friday evening sessions, the sensation of pins and needles will run through the many students that will be gracing the hardwood at gym 3 whether it be during the dance, or one of the many relays. There is a lot of hard work and energy that goes through the completion of these events. All of which will come down to the falling of that red or blue pom pom, to distinguish a winner for this year’s gym night.