Langhorne holds social justice seminar

Sydney Crocker, Staff Writer

On Sunday, January 14, over 500 students, families, and facilitators attended the Bucks County Teen Peace And Social Justice Summit at William Tennent HS.

Named after activist Martin Luther King Jr., the Summit discussed a number of ways to combat racial prejudice in the community. The Summit used a number of inspirational speakers and hand-on activities to convey its message of love and acceptance.

Several members of the community spoke at the event about their personal experiences with racism. Leaz Metelus, an Arcadia student and immigrant from Haiti, spoke about the hatefulness of our president’s speech and recent tweets. Taylor Branch, an 11th grader from Central Bucks East, shared her experience with racism in her school. Aliyah Salley, whose car was recently vandalized with racist graffiti, expressed her gratitude for her community in the moments after her car was vandalized.

Students were then broken into smaller groups to discuss ways to speak out against racism. Students shared their stories and experiences they have encountered.

Neshaminy School District made a strong presence at the Summit. Nearly two dozen students and teachers joined the crowd. One Neshaminy High School teacher, Mr. Rich Greenberg, shared his experience as both a teacher and a facilitator at the Summit. He said that he is disheartened to hear the students stories but hopeful for the future:

“It was most saddening to hear that there is still racism in our own backyards. However, from listening to all the students, I am hopeful that instead of the students sitting back and being quiet, they will take a more active role in ending racism.”

“The student is never alone,” stated Greenberg. “There will always be someone whose experience is similar and is there to help. And together, we can combat racism.”