Filed under Op-Ed

Why america should annex the Moon

google commons

google commons

The United States may be “of America” but that hasn’t stopped us from owning/claiming territories in Asia, the Pacific, the Caribbean, Central America, etc. Whether talking about the Louisiana Purchase, Mexican American war, Spanish American War, or even the Trail of Tears, America has always sought to manifest its destiny by gobbling up everything from Puerto Rico to Alaska to any island covered in bird poop (so long as it is not under the current jurisdiction of another government.) While uninhabited islands and barren tundras are nice, we as a nation can do much better. As the first and only country to send a man to the Moon and stick our flag in it, the U.S. is in a unique position to simply lay claim over the entire celestial body. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Article II of the Outer Space Treaty states ‘Outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.‘ according to https://www.state.gov/t/isn/5181.htm,” or at least something along those lines.
To that, I say “so what?” As the sole global superpower, America is faced with the unparalleled possibility to do whatever it wants anyway. In fact, not only should the Moon officially become part of our great and powerful nation, it should become the 51st state in the Union. Just imagine how glorious our flag would look with the moon on it. At the same time, it would prompt other countries like Turkey to remove the moon from their flag or risk an annexation of their own. In conclusion, the United States possesses not only the ability, but the right and duty to swallow the Earth’s Moon into its glorious union in the name of freedom, justice, and Manifest Destiny.

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

Is Christmas overrated?

• Op-Ed

Letter to the editor: Give graying lifers a break

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

The ViewPoint: Charter schools bring benefits, drawbacks to district

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

Chechnyan authorities detain gay men, violate human rights

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

French voters reject fascism, problems remain

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

School administrations must do more to help students struggling with mental illness

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

Humanity is making itself obsolete with advance of Artificial Intelligence

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

American government more willing to fight nonexistent enemy than help citizens

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

European Court of Justice ruling restricts religious freedom

• Why america should annex the Moon

Op-Ed

Protests disrupt everyday life, cause complications

Why america should annex the Moon