Neshaminy introduces new dual enrollment program with Bucks County Community College

Bucks+County+Community+College+will+be+partnered+with+Neshaminy+High+School+next+year+to+bring+student+more+opportunities.+

Bucks County Community College will be partnered with Neshaminy High School next year to bring student more opportunities.

Julia Capaldi, Staff Writer

Starting next year certain Neshaminy Seniors will be enrolled in both Neshaminy High School and Bucks County Community College. This allows them to take college courses along with their regular high school classes. The school district will be covering the cost of tuition, textbooks, and transportation for these students which the college has already worked to waive fees.

“This program allows qualified students a head start at college” Marlene Barlow, Bucks County Community College Admissions director, said. “Participating students are immersed in a college setting, taking courses with college students, both traditional-age and even returning adults. By benefit of early college courses, a student can be more fully prepared for the rigors of post-secondary education, whether they choose to attend Bucks or another college or university.  While we hope that participants will consider us as a viable educational choice, we value the opportunity to participate in Neshaminy students’ future by virtue of this program.  Certainly, a head start on college will contribute to either lighter semesters as students matriculate or earlier degree completion, both benefits in today’s challenging college environment and competitive job market.”

Both the college and Neshaminy School District share common goals for this program. Most of which are centered on the success of students. They expressed the difficulties students face with college and how they hope to aid students in this process.

“Our hope is that we contribute to an easier assimilation to life beyond high school, both at college and in a desired career” Barlow said. “I have tremendous respect for our president and our faculty and have long been committed to the College’s mission in support of our community.  As a result, I feel confident that Neshaminy students will reap great benefit as participants in this joint initiative.”

The students will take classes at Neshaminy during periods 1, 2, 3, and 8. The students will take two courses, six credits, each semester at Buck’s. After two semesters they will earn a total of 12 credits. The students will be required to take both Social Studies and English as part of their 12 credits. Students will however be able to choose an elective to take at Buck’s.

“The key is academic choice and opportunity” Rob McGee, Principal of Neshaminy High School, said.

Courses at bucks will be limited to having five to six Neshaminy students. The students’ class ranking at Neshaminy High School will be frozen at the end of their Junior Year.