The “War on Christmas” is fake

Starbucks stirred up controversy last year with their single-colored coffee cups.

Photo via Google Creative Commons License

Brynn MacDougall, Op-Ed Editor

In the months leading up to Christmas, several stores are rolling out holiday themed products. Yet some feel that there is a “War on Christmas” because Starbucks did not initially release a holiday cup that was obviously in celebration of Christmas for the second year in a row, despite the fact that Starbucks was founded by a Jewish man and serves customers of all backgrounds and religions, thus having no obligation whatsoever to celebrate the holiday.  The “War on Christmas” is clearly fake, yet there have been calls to boycott Starbucks over this non-issue.

This same issue came up last year when Starbucks put out a simple red cup (red is still a Christmas color) with no patterns or designs, and Christians freaked out in a similar manner.

There is no “War on Christmas.” Even if there was, Christmas would be winning. Christmas music flooded the radio waves Nov. 1, and stores sent out holiday catalogs soon after. Sainsbury, a United Kingdom based grocery store chain, had already released a Christmas-themed commercial by mid-November. Sesame Place, located in Middletown Township, rolled out special Christmas plates and Christmas meals in their eateries by the weekend before Thanksgiving. The Shadybrook Light Show in Yardley was up and running the same week.

Christians make up about 70.6 percent of the population. They will never be in danger of having their holidays ignored in the way Jews, Muslims, and others do. Very few people are aware of what Passover celebrates or what Eid-Al-Adha is about. Passover is the commemoration of the Jew’s liberation from slavery in Egypt. Eid-Al-Adha celebrates the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son to God. Before the sacrifice is completed, God intervened by sending his angel Jibra’il who replaced Ibrahim’s son with a sheep.

Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, and others all exist in America. Just because they are smaller in number does not lessen the value of their existence and their cultures.

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Republican health care proposition endangers insurance

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Legislation protecting free speech extremely necessary

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Campus Life

Bippity boppity boo: Fairy godmother visits NHS

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Campus Life

Neshaminy alive with the sound of music

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Showcase

Neshaminy graduate first female to win sports journalism award

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Entertainment

‘Rogue One’ Review: Visually a blast with a so-so plot

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

News

Trump inauguration makes history

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Campus Life

Students ring in New Year with resolutions

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

News

Central Bucks South hosts social justice summit

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Free speech under attack

The “War on Christmas” is fake