The “War on Christmas” is fake

Starbucks stirred up controversy last year with their single-colored coffee cups.

Photo via Google Creative Commons License

Brynn MacDougall, Op-Ed Editor

In the months leading up to Christmas, several stores are rolling out holiday themed products. Yet some feel that there is a “War on Christmas” because Starbucks did not initially release a holiday cup that was obviously in celebration of Christmas for the second year in a row, despite the fact that Starbucks was founded by a Jewish man and serves customers of all backgrounds and religions, thus having no obligation whatsoever to celebrate the holiday.  The “War on Christmas” is clearly fake, yet there have been calls to boycott Starbucks over this non-issue.

This same issue came up last year when Starbucks put out a simple red cup (red is still a Christmas color) with no patterns or designs, and Christians freaked out in a similar manner.

There is no “War on Christmas.” Even if there was, Christmas would be winning. Christmas music flooded the radio waves Nov. 1, and stores sent out holiday catalogs soon after. Sainsbury, a United Kingdom based grocery store chain, had already released a Christmas-themed commercial by mid-November. Sesame Place, located in Middletown Township, rolled out special Christmas plates and Christmas meals in their eateries by the weekend before Thanksgiving. The Shadybrook Light Show in Yardley was up and running the same week.

Christians make up about 70.6 percent of the population. They will never be in danger of having their holidays ignored in the way Jews, Muslims, and others do. Very few people are aware of what Passover celebrates or what Eid-Al-Adha is about. Passover is the commemoration of the Jew’s liberation from slavery in Egypt. Eid-Al-Adha celebrates the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son to God. Before the sacrifice is completed, God intervened by sending his angel Jibra’il who replaced Ibrahim’s son with a sheep.

Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, and others all exist in America. Just because they are smaller in number does not lessen the value of their existence and their cultures.

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

The ViewPoint: Charter schools bring benefits, drawbacks to district

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Chechnyan authorities detain gay men, violate human rights

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

School administrations must do more to help students struggling with mental illness

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

French voters reject fascism, problems remain

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Humanity is making itself obsolete with advance of Artificial Intelligence

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

American government more willing to fight nonexistent enemy than help citizens

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

European Court of Justice ruling restricts religious freedom

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Protests disrupt everyday life, cause complications

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

AP classes secure futures, ensure smooth path to college

• The “War on Christmas” is fake

Op-Ed

Perez wins DNC chair: Savior or final nail?

The “War on Christmas” is fake