Progressives react to election

Leanne Khov, A&E Editor

“Not my president!” slogans and chants flooded crowds of protesters in cities across America as they responded to the outcome of the 2016 election.

Many were left in disbelief and outrage Nov. 9 when results of the election revealed that businessman Donald Trump would take office as the 45th President of the United States in January.

Despite Hillary Clinton’s holding of the popular vote, Trump won more than 270 electoral votes, leading to his victory. Rather than remaining silent, Clinton supporters took their vexed feelings into action as thousands poured onto streets across the country and expressed their frustration to the news.

“Many weren’t expecting that Trump [would] win the election and become president so it’s natural that people are going to respond to such surprising news,” said junior Julianna Mathew.

From New York to Los Angeles, protests were held ever since Trump’s unexpected victory was announced. Flags were burned, windows were smashed, and objects were tossed at police. Violent demonstrations erupted everywhere as protesters rallied under slogans such as “Lock him up!” and emphasized their concern over expansion of white nationalist ideas as a result of Trump’s prejudicial remarks during his campaign.                                                                          In Oakland, Calif., a large demonstration of about 7,000 protesters erupted Nov. 9, turning into a conflict with the police. Rioters set fire to the streets and threw objects at the police who responded to the crowd by means of tear gas and flashbang grenades.

Around 100 protesters marched along 14th street and Broadway; another group of protestors met and marched near UC Berkeley campus. Berkeley High School students walked out of their classrooms Nov. 14 to show their disagreement with the outcome of the election.

What started out as a peaceful march turned aggressive after members of a group of about 4,000 protesters hurled objects at the police, vandalized businesses, and damaged cars in Portland, Oregon Nov. 11. Protesters blocked areas such as the eastbound lanes at Morrison Bridge Nov. 12, causing a conflict between car occupants and protesters. Protesters urged the occupants to leave; this confrontation caused one of the passengers to shoot a protester.

In Chicago, Ill.,  about 1,000 people gathered at the front of Trump International Hotel and chanted slogans against Trump, the Klu Klux Klan, and racism. Things turned even more violent when a man who was yelling that he voted for Trump was beaten by a group of people. Activists also marched down Lake Shore Drive in order to arrive at Wind City’s Trump Tower to protest.

In Los Angeles, Calif., students from the Eastside High School left classes Nov. 14 and ran rallies  held near USC and UCLA campuses. Concerns ranged from Trump’s call for the deportation of undocumented immigrants, the construction of a wall between the U.S. and Mexico, and to the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. Several protesters feared that their family or friends might be deported once Trump takes office.

Two hundred anti-Trump protesters marched from the Union Square area to Washington Square Park in Manhattan, N. Y.  carrying signs with messages such as, “White men stop ruining everything.” Chants of “Trump and Pence make no sense” were made by the crowd.

Once the result of the election was announced, about 5,000 people protested outside Trump Tower, including pop star Lady Gaga, a supporter of Clinton. 15 people were arrested that night for disorderly conduct.

“I came out here to let go of a lot of fear that was sparked as soon as I saw the results,” said a protester named Nick Powers, in New York according to KTLA 5.

Demonstrations were held in  many other cities such as Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. as people continued to protest and express their disdain over Trump’s victory.

“It’s shocking how much of an impact Trump’s victory has caused to all of these cities across America,” said junior Amber Kim.