Disney classics come to life

Photo via Google under Creative Commons license

Many Disney classic movies are getting a live-action makeover.

Regina Thomas, Arts & Entertainment Editor

After Disney’s success from the recent remakes of “Cinderella,” “Alice in Wonderland,” and “The Jungle Book,” other beloved Disney classics such as “Mulan,” “Beauty and the Beast,” and “The Lion King” are under production, soon to hit theaters.

“Mulan,” the action-packed story of a Chinese girl who takes the place of her father in the military to defeat the Huns while pretending to be male, is set to be released in November 2018. Rumors have been floating around that the love interest, Shang, will not be included in the film, and instead will be replaced by a European merchant. #MakeMulanRight was even a popular hashtag on Twitter.

When asked if she would watch the live action “Mulan” movie if Shang were replaced by a European merchant, sophomore Hannah Whitty said, “I would try not to. “Mulan” has absolutely no white people in in; movies can be good without white cast members too.”

However, producers put these rumors to rest and told Vanity Fair that “Mulan is, and will always be, the lead character in the story, and all primary roles, including the love interest, are Chinese.” Executives are now launching a global casting search for a Chinese actress to play Mulan. Concerning the live action remake of “Beauty and the Beast,” set to hit theaters March 17, 2017, Emma Watson is playing the lead role of Belle. Other cast members include Dan Stevens as the Beast, Luke Evans as Gaston, and Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts. Paige O’ Hara, the woman behind the voice of Belle from the 1991 Disney classic, said the live action remake had the “perfect casting,” according to an MTV interview. With 2016 being the 25th anniversary of the hit classic, much focus has been brought to this film.

Most recently, Disney announced that they are teaming up again with “The Jungle Book” director, Jon Favreau, to make the live action version of “The Lion King.” Many people are wondering how the remake is going to be done since the movie consists of only wild animals. Disney claims that they are going to use the same CGI technology as “The Jungle Book.” Although, if the whole movie is going to be completely in CGI, some believe that it shouldn’t be considered a live action remake at all. Aberdeen News said, “To look at (it) another way, this is Disney taking its remake strategy one step farther. Instead of translating animated films into live-action, bringing them to life with some help from modern CGI technology, this will instead be just a remake — animated film to animated film.” No release date or casting announcements have been made yet.