Football team goes undefeated

Madison Maldonado, Staff Writer

On Friday night of the homecoming football game, Neshaminy was up against Central Bucks South High School, and the student section was roaring. At halftime, the score was 42-14. Neshaminy ended the night with another outstanding win.

Coach Steve Wilmot has been working with the Neshaminy football team for 22 years. He is now in his second year as head coach. “You have to be on your toes every week. You can’t let your guard down for one minute because every team wants to beat us, and being 7-0 you have a little bit of a target on your back,” he said. “The senior class is really a talented bunch. They’re a real high character group, although there are not a whole lot of them, only 13 on the roster, which is small for a normal year. I think they have been great leaders all year.”

nhs-vs-cbsouth_fb_10072016_6148

The team itself has a really great spirit and does well overcoming challenges. “We spend most of our time watching film, lifting, getting prepared, and learning the different plays. We work hard every day to reach our goal for the big games Friday nights,” said junior Michael Crescenzo, who plays linebacker and running back.

“We expect the same thing we do every week, working hard in practice, and overcoming obstacles during the game. If we do that we will hopefully have a great outcome,” said junior Giovanni Figueroa, who plays right tackle and defensive tackle.

“Last year we were so close to making it to the final stage of the playoffs, so this year we all decided that we have to push harder to try to make it to the championship game,” Crescenzo said.

“Coach Jones always tells us the date Dec. 10, [which is] the date for the state championship. He motivates us every day to be the best we can be on the team,” said Figueroa.

“You never know if you will get to the playoffs. We just take it week by week and try to match up with the team that we’re playing with, and once we get to the playoffs that’s basically what it comes down to. I don’t really want to speculate how far we can go,” Coach Wilmot said.

The school’s varsity team has versed Roman Catholic, Pennridge, Downingtown West, Council Rock North, Harry S. Truman, Abington and Central Bucks South. Coaches and players alike are hoping to continue their success throughout the remaining portion of the season.