Allow cell phones in schools

Photo via Google under Creative Commons license

A person uses a cellphone to look something up online.

Samantha Diodata, Staff Writer

Nowadays with more schools allowing cell phones, the argument has come up as to whether or not it is a good idea to permit their use during school hours. There are many benefits and drawbacks to cell phones in schools, but most of the pros outweigh the cons. They can be used as computers when none are available, can replace heavy supplies within students’ bags, and can be used to listen to music in order to aid students in attempts to distress.

Most of the cell phones students have now are just like small, portable computers. These devices can be wonderful learning tools. Schools have computers, but not enough for every student to use one at the same time. Students having their cell phones in class often gives the school the advantage of them being able to just pull their cell phones out of their bags when computers are not available.

Cell phones can also be used to replace supplies students would have to lug around with them in their backpacks, such as calculators and dictionaries. Students who are not allowed to use cell phones in school have to carry such things around in their bags, putting stress on their shoulders. Even just having to remember to bring all these supplies may be a challenge, but as many cell phones have a built in calculator and there are several dictionary apps that can be downloaded for free, the allowance of such has to ability to greatly improve students daily lives within their schools.

Listening to music can be calming and even a way to get students ready for the day. With students listening to music in the hallway between classes, they can calm down and destress while getting to their next class. Music has also been shown to help students learn in some cases.

While cell phones can cause problems in some situations, they can also be incredibly helpful and aid a student’s high school experience.