Neshaminy High School December Athletes of the Issue

Natalie Pietrowski and Liam Krimmel

Sophomore pitcher Sarah Dowalo, has proven herself to be an essential member of the Neshaminy softball team, while still finding time to compete on her travel team outside of school, Nightmare U-18 Gold. Already, Dowalo has made a verbal commitment to Villanova University, and hopes to continue her excellence in her high school career.

Starting young has proven to be beneficial for Dowalo. Even though she is still an underclassmen, Dowalo was the No. 2 pitcher on the team last year. “I started playing softball when I was 8 years old,” she said. “My Dad kept encouraging me to play on a team.”

“I accepted to Villanova after I toured the campus and met with the coaches and players,” Dowalo explained. “The whole atmosphere had a welcoming feeling and they had my intended major of genetics.”

When it comes to academics, Dowalo shines in more than just softball. She maintains high grades and is in the top 10 percent of her class. “Most of my time consists of either practicing or doing homework, so I don’t usually have a lot of free time,” Dowalo said.

Like many other athletes, Dowalo takes the time to prepare herself for big games. “Before a game I usually like to relax with my team mates to prepare myself mentally,” she explained. “I make sure that if I’m pitching, that all my pitches are working. I just keep throwing.”

“When I’m pitching against another team I have to think that I will not let the batter get the best of me,” Dowalo said. “I block out all other distractions.”

The left-handed pitcher is aiming for a successful season this spring. “My goals for this spring season are to win SOL’s, go to states, and just have a great season with the team.”

hunter kelly
Hunter Kelly has become one of Neshaminy’s most successful athletes this year. Spending his senior year as a captain of the varsity team, Kelly led Neshaminy to District One playoffs this year. Kelly was also selected to receive an award this past month. Maxwell Football Club President, Ron Jaworski, announced the 2015 Mini Max High School award winners for the state of Pennsylvania. The 61 players selected are from schools located in Districts One, Three, Eleven and Twelve in the eastern half of the state.

Players were nominated by their coaches throughout the 2015 season and were evaluated based on a criteria that includes football performance, academics and community service. Kelly is a four year varsity athlete and maintains a 4.03 GPA.

“It means a lot to me, it’s a very prestigious award and to be a recipient and be able to bring some extra pride to Neshaminy is a big deal for me,” Kelly said.

Kelly, being an active member of his community and high school, has been working hard throughout his entire career of high school. Football has been a part of his entire life, especially being a four year varsity Offensive and Defensive lineman.
“I’ve been playing football ever since I could walk. I started playing Varsity as a freshman,” Kelly said.

His greatest accomplishment would be winning the District One Title at a starting tackle position during his sophomore year. He went up against veteran football players as a young varsity athlete and helped secure the title in what was an intense game.

Kelly is planning to continue his football career at the collegiate level after graduation. “I plan on playing college football, either for Division 2 or Division 1,” Kelly said, “I’m being recruited by Youngstown state, Penn State, Deleware, and some other D2 Schools.”