Periscope, new branch of social media, allows live stream

By Abena Oforiwaa Ampofo

Over the years, the advancement of technology has brought about the creation of several
social media that have made the world a better place. One such invention is the phenomenal
application, Periscope.

Periscope, owned by Twitter, is a social media that allows users to access live stream
videos from all over the world within seconds. Acquired by Twitter in March of this year,
Twitter reported a staggering 10 million users as of August.

Users of Periscope are able to share multimedia regarding activities they are involved in
and in turn access information other put out there. Imagine being stuck in Langhorne and getting
to enjoy an awesome Nicki Minaj concert. Although apps such as Meerkat perform the same
function, Periscope is largely used due to the ability of users to actually view the tweets posted
by Twitter users.

Police and other law enforcement agencies are able to get wind of information from
eyewitnesses who do not wish to be identified. Recently, a woman in Florida was incarcerated
due to substantial evidence found through Periscope. The woman was caught driving under the
influence because she took a video of herself committing the crime. “Because Lakeland police
officers are unable to access Periscope in an official capacity, they had difficulty pinpointing
Beall’s location. One officer used his personal account to call up Beall and was able to observe
landmarks that helped locate her and her car,” Jeff Tavas said, according to an article on Local
10.com.

The offender, whose name was withheld, made a livestream of herself leaving a bar
drunk and driving home. On her way, she hit many curbs, thankfully not hurting anyone. Police
in Florida fielded calls from all around as viewers reported the woman. She was taken off the
road thankfully before she hurt anyone.

Periscope has many advantages such as helping with law enforcement, entertainment, and
catching up on news such as the ongoing presidential debates and give their opinions. Many
people who learn about news through social media rather than read them or watch Fox News at
night. “I think it is fascinating and I enjoy catching up on live news,” Kate Fleming said,
Neshaminy High School.

“Yes, at the risk of sounding like a cliche, Periscope has changed the game for me. I can’t
wait to see what’s next,”according to an article in The Huffington Post by Katie Lance on June 2,
2015. As a user of Periscope, I can endorse it as a good app.