Providing contraception in schools will prevent pitfalls of pregnancy

Grace Marion, Editor-in-Chief

As American morals have changed over the years so has the purpose of our school system. In 1647 when the first American public schools where founded their sole purpose was to “ensure that Puritan children learn to read the Bible and receive basic information about their Calvinist religion,” according to the Center for Racial Justice Innovation.

The purpose of modern American public schooling is to provide the best education possible to as many pupils that are valid in the school system. Knowing this many schools have begun to provide contraception to both their male and female students.

The question is not why some schools have begun to do such, but why some schools have not. Only 40 percent of teen mothers finish high school. Fewer than 2 percent finish college by age 30. On top of that “Children of teen mothers perform worse on many measures of school readiness, are 50 percent more likely to repeat a grade, and are more likely than children born to older mothers to drop out of high school,” stated a study by the National Conference of State Legislature. These measures are helping ensure another generation is not deprived of an education.

Teen pregnancy rates have decreased 50% from their peak in 1995 of 61 births out of every 1,000 adolescent females. Use of contraceptives in the United States has almost doubled in the cases of particular products since the late 80s. This shows a direct correlation between the rising use of contraception and the plummeting rate of teen pregnancy. Any school trying to fulfill duty to the community will surely see the right course of action to take in this matter.