Fact or Fiction: Stress myths unfurled

By Colleen Harley
Copy Editor

Nowadays, “stressed” seems to be one of the only words that teens from the ages of 14 to 18 that can be used to describe themselves. School, homework, relationships, jobs stress is keeping today’s youth from living an enjoyable life. Teens are struggling to balance an everyday schedule and it has only become more impossible. The causes and effects of stress on teens are well known, but now it’s time to find out what’s fact, and what’s fiction.

There is a common misconception that all stress is bad stress, this simply is not true. There’s a phrase known by many, “Fight or Flight,” High levels of stress in a bad situation can build up your adrenaline, which can cause you to act more quickly and efficiently. Good stress is also a great motivational tool in getting things done. Although, you can choose if you’d like to make a situation good or not, which brings the choice of “good stress” versus “bad stress” You make what you want of it.

No matter what anyone says, nobody’s stress is the same as someone else’s. Yes, the situations may be the same, but the way it is handled, varies from person to person. In an article written by Sherrie Bourg Carter, a Psy.D, on psychologytoday.com, she states

“We each have a different threshold for letting things get to us and we all react to stress differently. Some people withdraw; some people experience anxiety; some lose their cool. Identifying what your triggers are and what you tend to do under stress are essential first steps in developing a successful stress management routine.”

“Only serious symptoms require attention.” Wrong, if you have any sort of symptoms, as small as they may be, seek ways to reduce your stress immediately, otherwise your small symptoms will turn to big ones, and will worsen and worsen over time. Examples of minor stress signs are headaches, fatigue, etc. To rid yourself of stress and stressful situations, you need to find a regiment that works for you, examples being going for a walk, listening to music, going for a drive, etc. Keep your life as stress free, and you’ll be benefiting your mental sanity, but your general health overall.

Just because the warning signs aren’t there, doesn’t mean that stress doesn’t exist in someone’s life. More often than not, chronic stress will start to wear you down, physically and mentally. Symptoms of chronic stress often are extreme fatigue, being forgetful, and becoming unproductive.

Everyone manages stress differently, what works for one person, may not work as well for someone else. Contrary to popular belief, the most “popular” ways to rid yourself of stress, aren’t always the best.

Stress isn’t something you’re forced to live with. Granted, things like a bad economy, family issues, overscheduling, and other major life happenings and issues sometimes have negative effects on people that can cause stress. The best way to stop yourself from being stressed is to force the negativity out of your life. If there’s ways you get rid of the negative aspects of your life, do it. You’ll keep yourself sane and happy that way.