What’s cool in school?

The “Clean Girl Aesthetic” is taking over schools across America

From Claw clips, Ugg boots, Stanley Cups, to Lululemon, The “Clean Girl Aesthetic” is taking over the interests of young women across America. What made these trends famous and are they here to stay?

“Minimalism is the key to every aspect of the ‘Clean Girl Aesthetic’. An essential part of achieving the vibe is putting together an effortless, glowy, and sophisticated beauty look,” Seventeen Magazine said. 

Many of the people now following the “Clean Girl Aesthetic” discovered it through TikTok. 

Reilly Adamoyurka, a Neshaminy High School sophomore, explained who inspired her to follow the trend.

“I don’t really have a specific person that inspired me. I’ve just seen people on TikTok and in person, and I like that style,” Adamoyurka explained.

It seems to be a common thing for TikTok and social media to expose people to new, popular trends.

According to a Stitch Fix report, “Clients referencing TikTok as inspiration and guidance for trends and styles had increased by 85% in the last two years.”

Celebrities like Hailey Bieber and Kendall Jenner were some of the biggest celebrities to rock this aesthetic. They often sport slicked-back hair tied with a claw clip, minimal glowy makeup, and hoop earrings.

Some of the essential products for the “Clean Girl” aesthetic are the Dior Lip Oil, or a lip gloss in general, moisturizer, an inner eye highlight, and minimal foundation/concealer.

At NHS, the “Clean Girl Aesthetic” is one of the students’ most visible and apparent trends. Walking down school halls, you will see students wearing the signature hairstyle, face done in classic glowy makeup, and wearing trendy clothes.  

Adamoyurka displays this look frequently, but why does she like it? 

“It looks cute and it’s easy and simple to put together,” she stated.

The “Clean Girl Aesthetic” comes from African American and Latino communities, which are often overlooked when discussing the origins of the aesthetic. Black and Latino communities have been sporting this look for decades, but are now only getting minimal credit for it.  

According to an article by USC Annenberg Media, “For women of color, especially in Latinx and Black communities, this style of hair and jewelry has been worn for decades, long before the mainstream media and white creators decided to enculturate the look.”

Ava Mucha, an NHS Sophomore who enjoys this aesthetic, explains where she got it from and why she chooses the look.

“I got the inspiration for this style through social media and friends.” Mucha noted. “I like this look because it is a mix of comfy and cute.”