Spring track stays competitive in spite of lack of participation

By Reed Hennessy
Op-Ed editor
The spring track season has just recently started up and Coach Russ Horrocks is very optimistic about the team’s future, “We have a young team that is vastly improving with solid seniors, there are a greater number of underclassmen but they are very promising and I think they will be great by late or next season,” Horrocks said.
“So far I feel we are above how we were last year during the track season,” senior Dan Liss said.
The spring track team’s current record is one win and three losses not including dual meets which are not important to the track coaches. They concentrate on Saturday invitationals, districts, and states. “The biggest problem we face is that we need more people.” Horrocks said. There are only 35 people on the team and the more people the better.
The track team has set multiple records this year such as coming second in the 4×200 meter relay at the indoor track state championships with a time of 1 minute and 29 point 60 seconds and Cody Minning set the long jump record at 23 feet eight inches. The team’s performances have been great and have managed to not let any losses get them down.
“The team has performed well so far and the team has lost a few but has managed to get through them, however we should’ve won the meet against Pennsbury, we just didn’t step up,” Assistant Coach Tim Bech said.
“I think the work ethic of the track team is the biggest aspect of how we could improve this year,” said junior Seth Mazzeo. Despite a losing record the track team remains lighthearted but with a strong will to win and practicing every day after school as hard and long as they can.
The first track meet was on March 27 and the last meet will be on May 12. That is unless the track team is able to make it to district one championship which is on May 18 and 19, and if they succeed in districts they will make it to PIAA State Championships which will be held on May 25 and 26.
The 4×100 relay team finished in third place in their division at the Penn Relays and the group now has their sights set on playoffs and their hopes for winning states.