Softball star athletes

By Sam Pipe
Sports Editor

Best friends off the field and double threat on the softball diamond are the perfect ways to describe the combo of junior pitcher Lauren Quense and senior shortstop and captain Laura Altenburger. Both of these star athletes are able to stop the other team in their tracks with their outstanding offense while bringing Neshaminy’s offense to life with their bats. However it may be the leadership and energy that they bring to the dugout and practices that makes them such standout players.
Altenburger came to Neshaminy her sophomore year and earned a starting spot when the shortstop tore her ACL and her stellar play has not stopped since. She may be a silent leader but it is her play on the field that speaks for itself, “I don’t lead by my words, I lead by example,” Altenburger said.
Altenburger was also chosen as third team all SOL last season and part of the carpenter cup the previous year. These statistics may seem to tell the whole story but it is Altenburger’s extra effort, whether it is diving to snag a ball out of mid air or sliding to steal a base, which makes her an all-star. “We know she will do whatever it takes, even put her body on the line at an important spot in the game,” Coach Dave Chichilitti said. The constant dirt on Altenburger’s number 13 jersey is a testament to the dedication and talent that she provides for Redskins softball. Altenburger will continue her softball career at West Chester University in the fall.
Whatever noise is not provided by Altenburger is more than made up for by Quense. Intense is the only word that can be used to describe the play of Quense, both her 65 mph fastball from the mound and powerful swing from the plate have been an essential part of the skins’ success. “The pitcher is the most important player as with any softball team, and we are lucky enough to have one that plays with such intensity so that we can raise our expectations of the entire team,” Chichilitti said.
Quense was named part of the golden team and player of the year by the Bucks County Courier Times as a sophomore. Quense is setting high expectations for the entire team, “Our goal is to kick some butt this season and win states,” Quense said. After her Neshaminy career, Quense will be attending Fordham University to play division one softball.
With Quense and Altenburger batting third and fourth in the skins’ lineup and holding down the middle of the infield, the redskins have high expectations for this year especially after a trip to the state semifinals last season.