Photography, art, love: Art teacher Terry O’Neill inspires students to explore their interests, follow their hearts, and reach for their dreams.

By Molly K. Lichtner
Photography Editor

Art teacher Terry O’Neill fixes about a hundred problems a day. With numerous higher level art classes, how could she not? From mixing chemicals for her two Advanced Photography classes to designing new and innovative projects for her Advanced Art 2 and Advanced Art 3 classes, she barely has enough time to breathe.

O’Neill, a Tyler School of Art 1992 graduate, has been working as a teacher for over twenty years and was lucky enough to secure a teaching job with Neshaminy in 1995. She originally started as a graphic design major but later switched to print making with a teaching certificate because she was inspired by a second grade teacher she observed in one of her courses. “I was excited by her ability to engage the class and keep their excitement levels up,” O’Neill said. “If I wasn’t a teacher, I’d want to be a Saturday Night Live cast member.”

Besides being committed to her job, she is popular enough among her students that they take her classes numerous times: “Everything about her has made me want to take her classes more than just once,” said senior Nicole Jones. “I like her assignments because they push me to further my creative limits.”
O’Neill also motivates her students to do their best, such as senior Gwen George. “I love photography; O’Neill inspired my love of it and she’s taught me a lot about how to do better work. She’s always there for support.”

Her personality is a big part of it, claims sophomore Morgan Matthews. “[O’Neill] is down-to-earth…she’s friendly and approachable.”
O’Neill considers her greatest teaching triumph every time her students succeed. “When students realize their potential and are proud of their work that is my greatest accomplishment.” O’Neill said. “That’s a good feeling.”