Sisters leave impact through athletic abilities

Maggie Aldrich

More stories from Maggie Aldrich

Photo/J.S. Garber

Photo/J.S. Garber

Many successful athletes have something or someone that inspires them to work harder. Whether it’s a goal or a role model, this shapes them into the athlete they aspire to be. Brooke Mullin, starting forward for the girls’ soccer team and starting guard and forward for the girls’ basketball team, looks up to her older sister, McKenna Mullin for this drive.

During the 2010-2014 seasons at Neshaminy, McKenna was a four-year varsity starting goalkeeper for the girls’ soccer team and point guard for the basketball team, helping to bring both teams a 25-0 record season her senior year. As a sophomore, McKenna was rewarded with an honorable mention from the Suburban One League for her hard work on the soccer team.

During her junior and senior years, she was named to the suburban one first team for soccer.  Mckenna was also named to the Bucks County Courier Times golden team her senior year and to the Southeastern Pennsylvania second team. These teams serve as a ranking system for the best high school soccer players within each area.

In addition to these awards, she also shattered the school record for most shutouts in a single season during her sophomore, junior and senior years at Neshaminy. She ended her  high school soccer career with 46 total shutouts.
Along with her achievements in soccer, McKenna also made significant contributions to Neshaminy girls basketball. During her junior and senior years she was named to the suburban one second team, and in the spring of 2014, the team played their way to win the state championship title.

McKenna is currently a junior at West Chester University and a goalkeeper for their soccer team. She often visits Brooke at her soccer and basketball games, and enjoys practicing basketball with her sister and father John Mullin, assistant coach of the Neshaminy girls basketball team, in her free time.

“I will never turn down an opportunity to be in the gym whether it be with my sister and dad when they go on off days, or playing with the Neshaminy girls’ basketball team,” McKenna said.

During her first year at Neshaminy, Brooke was named to the Suburban One second team for both soccer and basketball and was a crucial part of the basketball team that won the SOL national title. This past year, she received Suburban One first team honors for soccer and was the second leading scorer in the SOL National Conference. She is now approaching her second season with the Neshaminy basketball team.

“I see Mckenna as a role model because she  is a good athlete and accomplished many things during her high school career,” Brooke said,  “She inspired me to want to win.”

Brooke serves as a key player to both the soccer and basketball teams. “Brooke is obviously very tall, and I think that separates her from other athletes. It enables her to be extremely successful in both of her sports. I also think her competitive nature gives her an edge on most of her competitors. It is hard to beat someone who refuses to lose,” McKenna said. “We both have the refuse-to-lose attitude.”

Rachel Clemens, head coach of the girls’ soccer team for all of McKenna’s four seasons with the program, often visits games to watch Brooke and her teammates play on the field.

“Both McKenna and Brooke have an obvious natural athletic ability,” Clemens said. “They both also have a very determined attitude and always strive to play their best. This combination of attributes make them very dominate players on the soccer field whether it’s McKenna saving shots on goal or Brooke scoring goals.”

• Sisters leave impact through athletic abilities

Campus Life

Mini-THON raises money and awareness

• Entertainment

Four Neshaminy memes you need to see

Featured

Neshaminy brings home SOL title

Featured

Neshaminy staff share playlists

Featured

Democratic party faces functional issues following convention

Campus Life

Neshaminy offers new creative writing class

Entertainment

Music streaming sites: helpful or harmful to artists?

Featured

Track and Field athletes make history at Penn Relays

Featured

A tale of two congressional canidates

• Featured

Not a drop: America’s restrictions on blood donation