A Tradition Continues at NHS

Jessica McClelland                                                                                           Playwickian Co-Managing Editor

** Note: This article has been posted in its original form by the administration at the request of the author per School Board Policy 600 **

On March 31, the sixth annual Mr. Redskin took place in the Theodore Kloos auditorium.  Eight wonderful senior boys all came together for a night of singing, bad jokes from the hosts, Luke Watkins and Mitchell Kryzwonos, and various talents.

The competition first started in 2010 by a group of seniors who proposed the idea of a male pageant and the winner would become “Mr. Redskin” for the remainder of the year.  Ever since then, there’s been a long line of bad singing, hairy legs, horrible dancing, and funny costumes.

“There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into Mr. Redskin.  Student Council Officers and the Executive Council were here working every night this week until 9 p.m. getting prepared,” said advisor of the competition, Richard Kain.  “There were also many hours prior to this week spent sending out applications, setting up tuxedo rentals, making posters, and advertising the event.”

The Class of 2016 senior contestants were Collin McCarthy, Isaiah Rodriquez, Emre Fisher, Ryan Doyle, Drew Luniewski, Tom Farrell, Joe McCoy, and Noah Kisselback. Watkins and Kryzwonos were the hosts of the competition, introducing themselves as each other.  After a long night of ribbon twirling, saxophone playing, Frozen impersonations, and Grease Lightning, there could only be one winner.

Joe McCoy was crowned Mr. Redskin after being escorted by Kylee Gallagher, getting the crowd excited, dancing in the name of Kevin Kiess, and showing off his track uniform. McCoy also rose over $1,000 for breast cancer awareness.  “I’m happy for my brother.  He worked his butt off and it was a well-deserved win for him,” said senior Brandon Ramos, who performed with the winner, Joe McCoy.

Mr. Redskin is a new tradition that will hopefully keep on going for years to come. “Thank you for using your ‘talents’ to add enjoyment to other’s NHS experience while at the same time contributing to the worthy charities.  Well-done gentlemen,” said Principal Rob McGee.