Neshaminy to hold workshop addressing science, art

By Ashley Reiss
Student Life Editor

There are prevalent areas in the United States academic curriculum that are lacking when it comes to children’s education. Thus the creation of S.T.E.M was put in place, an initiative to encourage shortcomings of interest by students when it comes to science, technology, engineering and mathematics—all fields increasingly becoming more popular as society moves to a more technological based world.

Although another category is lacking in the curriculum of education that is highly influential in today’s job market—art. Many forget how imperative art is, especially for children who are growing in a time when creativity seems a miss.

Steam News

“Art adds the dynamics of aesthetic. The ability to make something function but pleasing to the human eye, the viewer, adding dynamic to the interaction of the viewer as well,” said art teacher Solstice.

But that’s why it needed to be added, STEAM which is now including the letter A for art, is something that is going to be stressed in children’s education curriculum, something that has been mandated in other districts and was actually introduced last year in ours.

“I started out as a print designer with a little bit of stem in there but now it’s different, if you can’t code you can’t design-design a website, its stem, and bringing them together that’s where the money is,” said art teacher Sid White.

According to STEAM their mission statement reminds us that new industries are looking for innovation when it comes to their employees and art is exactly what is necessary for more intuition to flourish. It will help new industries spur in the future and help our future economic wellbeing as a society. Neshaminy school district, in support of the new category is now holding an expo at Neshaminy High School on April 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 for lower grade levels from kindergarten through 6th grade.

A night that is filled with demonstrations and fun activities to help bring light to this new initiative sponsored by the teachers of the Neshaminy school district including various other outside groups like Bucks County Community Colleges, the Art Museum, Mad Science and a myriad other groups that are there for a new experience.