Limits to minors’ rights

By Kirsten Magas
Staff Writer

Minors’ right to making decisions regarding their health care varies from state to state. According to the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, the law generally requires minors to have parental consent before receiving treatment unless they have been married, been emancipated (made legally free), or graduated high school. There are certain rights kids have that they are simply unaware of.

In Pennsylvania, the law does not require doctors to receive parental consent before treating minors at a gynecology office. In fact, “Planned Parenthood,” a government organization, offers all forms of contraceptives and services, such as testing for STIs or pregnancy, for free to minors.

Unfortunately, a minor cannot have an abortion without her parents being notified unless she was emancipated. If the parent or legal guardian will not consent, she can take the issue to court to get an abortion. Either way, it’s ultimately still her decision.

Too many kids avoid treatment in fear that their information will not remain confidential due to their age. Only 45 percent of kids said they would seek care for depression if their parents would be notified. However, the ACLUPA states, “Minors ages 14 and older may consent to outpatient mental health examination and treatment without parental consent or notice;” the other 55 percent of kids are in luck.

The reason why minors are not permitted to make their own decisions regarding their health is that most don’t have the intelligence to make the right decision for themselves.

However, by age 14, most are in high school and have more knowledge.  Although minors can consent to outpatient mental health treatment without parental notice, inpatient care requires parental notice.

The real issue is not that minors have no say on decisions regarding their medical treatment, it is that parents with children that need this type of medical care, choose not to treat their children.

Unfortunately, for these kids, their rights are being violated and they are victims of medical neglect. Parents can’t be blamed in all situations, though; at times, kids leave their parents in the dark regarding what’s happening in their lives.

Minors may not have too much power in this society, but it’s important to recognize the rights that they still have.