Charlie Brown turns 50, breaks record as oldest second grader

By Corrine Calderbank

It’s that time of year again, everyone gathering around the T.V., getting ready to watch their favorite holiday specials. This year one of the most famous holiday program is celebrating 50 years.

On Nov. 30, 2015 ABC aired a special celebrating the 50th anniversary of A Charlie Brown Christmas, called It’s Your 50th Christmas, Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas is a classic Christmas special that has been around for over half a century, premiering on Dec. 9, 1965.

Kristen Bell hosted the special along with special musical performances from Kristin Chenoweth, Matthew Morrison, Sarah McLachlan featuring the All-American Boys Choir, Boyz II Men, Pentatonix, and David Benoit. The musical performances emphasize the musical impact Charlie Brown has left on us.

Through the course of the program Kristen Bell explained the process of how the peanuts came to be. The legendary Charlie Brown is based off the real life Charles Schulz, when he was created in 1963. When the production never went through in 1963, two years later Time magazine wanted to do a feature on Charlie Brown in April 1965, and the playwright was then sold.

The voices of the peanuts were voiced by different child actors rather than adults. This was very odd for this time period, making the program “unconventional”, or so the network thought. When A Charlie Brown Christmas first aired 45 percent of people watching T.V. tuned in.

Charlie Brown is a character that everyone can love. He is sweet and loves everyone.

“He’s the kinda kid you would want as a next door neighbor,” Charles Shulz said.

A Charlie Brown Christmas shows us the real meaning of Christmas. To celebrate good will toward all and to love each other. We learned from Linus that even tiny trees just need a little love, while we learned from Charlie Brown said it only matters who is around the tree and not what’s under it.