Selena Gomez faces new issues

By Brianna Herder

Selena Gomez, now a household name, has been in the lime-light recently for not only her release of her sophomore album “Revival,” but also due to her health crisis she’s been facing recently. Gomez’s newest album, titled “Revival”, debuted on Oct. 9th, and has since been predicted to travel to number 1 on Billboard’s Top 200. Recently on Billboard, Selena’s album wasn’t the only trending topic. The 23-year-old announced on Billboard that she had been diagnosed with lupus, which was the main reason for her hiatus and cancellation of her 2013 tour to Australia and Asia.

Lupus is a disease when the immune system’s tissues attack themselves or other vital organs. It often strikes women ranging from 15-44 years old, but men and young children are still able to contract this disease; this disease is not contagious, meaning you can’t catch lupus from another person in any way, including sexual contact. Symptoms of lupus include fatigue or fever, joint and chest pains, rashes on the bridge of your nose and cheeks, shortness of breath, dry eyes, and memory loss or headaches. However, symptoms vary from person to person. There is no known cure for lupus, but treatment helps.

Gomez took time off in 2014 to receive chemotherapy to treat the disease. Appearing on The Today Show, she revealed she wasn’t completely ready to discuss the disease with the public. The songstress stated to the hosts of the show, “To be honest, it still kind of makes me a little uncomfortable to talk about.”

Due to Gomez’s sudden disappearance in the Hollywood world, rumors were quick to begin circulating saying that she was receiving treatment for her drug and drinking abuse. Actually, Gomez was receiving treatment for lupus, which was the main influence for her break.

“That’s what my break was really about. I could’ve had a stroke,” said Gomez.

Regardless of her recent health scare, Selena is still going strong in the music industry releasing her most recent album titled “Revival.” Many believe it has the potential to reach the number one spot on the charts. It includes songs such as, “Same Old Love,” the lead single “Good for You,” and many more.