Last thoughts from the graduating editorial staff

Some 19 and a half months ago, this paper published an unsigned editorial titled “Why we refuse to publish the R-Word,” in which the sitting editorial board put forth its reasoning for a newly instituted ban on the name of the school mascot.

In the 595 days that followed, that ban had been placed “on hold,” yet, aside from an erroneously placed cartoon in November of 2013, was still enforced. The Playwickian has gone well over a year with the ban enforced.

Lots of questions were raised by that ban; primarily, we were asked what our motive for that ban was. The answer is simple: we believed “the R-word” to be wrong. A Native American woman in the community plead–and still pleads– her case before the school board to have the mascot changed, as the word was offensive to her son who had to tolerate it every day. She is not alone in her stance. Native Americans nationwide have been protesting the word for decades. A large group of Native Americans protest it more ardently than ever, but those protests largely fall on deaf ears. The Playwickian editorial board did not want to be among those.

We researched the history of the word and its bloody ties to an era of genocide. We saw the American Psychological Association’s study showing that a Native American mascot could actually be disruptive to the educational process of Native American children. We decided, in this light, that it would be better for the Native minority in our school and for the prospect of future Native American students to have the R-Word appear in one less place.

In the 595 days since then, a lot has happened: the Pennsylvania Human Relations Committee has handed down a preliminary ruling ruling aginst the word, a virtual death knell. The Courier Times has banned the word within its own pages and a small, yet vocal minority has come out against the word. These things were all rather unexpected.

Yet, not enough has happened. While the aforementioned events send encouragement, the general attitude in the district is troubling, as community leaders and the masses have dug their heels in.

The R-Word’s day is done. Regardless of the PHRC’s ruling, the mascot will one day be changed. The movement has gained too much momentum, and the mascot will eventually become so great an inconvenience to the district that it must go.

We believe that inconvenience has already been met, financially.

The mascot debate has costed the district tens of thousands of dollars. If the PHRC rules unfavorably to the district and the district appeals, there will be great legal costs. Keeping the mascot will likely prove impossible, and at the end of the fight there may be a bad bill waiting for the school board.

On the other hand, the National Congress of American Indians wishes to see the mascot changed so much that it is willing to compensate the district for the expenses involved in changing it!
If it is cost versus benefit, changing the mascot now appears preferable.

Would the district rather spend thousands upon thousands only to have a mascot change forced upon them, or now begin the process of changing without the legal fees?

We were at first reluctant to extend any judgment on the mascot issue beyond our own paper. Now, with this new situation, it appears that changing the mascot is right in every way.

This district may have to go through the tough trials of the change, but it may come out stronger on the other end because of it. We may be leaving this district with its racist mascot, but ultimately, a unified Neshaminy will ally under a new one.

Gillian McGoldrick
Reed Hennessy
Madison Buffardi
Jackson Haines
Stephanie Harvey
Allison Kaufman
Solomiya Syvyk
Monica Dinh