‘Pulsera Project’ threads nations together: Students aid growing communities, send aid to Latin America

By Makenzie Mason
Circulation Editor

Neshaminy has many different clubs dedicated to service around the community; however, the Foreign Language club has adopted a project aiding people in South America. The Pulsera Project is a non-profit organization that raises money for different groups in primarily Nicaragua but also Uganda, Guatemala and Chile. 100% of the proceeds go back to these countries.

This is all accomplished by selling multitudes of “pulseras”—bracelets. Each are handmade by about 100 artists around South America using colorful yarn and thread to “enrich our own lives just as much as their purchase colors the lives of people in Nicaragua,” according to the Pulsera Project’s website.

Each pulsera is five dollars and is a wearable piece that will remind you of the support you gave to the organization. Attached to the bracelet is a tag with the artist’s name,picture and country. More information can found out about these talented artists at www.pulseraproject.org.

“The Pulsera signifies a small token of gratitude from the generosity of strangers. This exchange has evolved on a global level and has even expanded to two cooperatives, one in Guatemala and the other in Uganda,” Maria Perez, advisor of the Foreign Language Club at Neshaminy, who is hosting the Pulsera Project, said.

The Pulsera Project provides fair trade jobs to the impoverished unemployed people who may experience poor working conditions if given any other job in their country. This allows them to make a living to support their families safely. The Pulsera Project also aids teens in Nicaragua who otherwise would be on the streets.

The organization is based off of service, leadership and education. By involving schools in Pulsera Project, students learn about the Latin American as well as the struggles economically they possess.

Donating only a mere 5 dollars will not only give you a colorful keepsake, but it will also give chances to underprivileged people in South America, helping them make a living and live a better life.

“By Neshaminy students volunteering their time and joining this cause, they are gaining global awareness as well as gaining a unique perspective of their lives. Neshaminy [Pulsera] volunteers are actively helping the less fortunate in addition to making a brighter and more ‘colorful’ future for others,” Perez said.