Student athletes wonder if time commitment is worth it

By Stephanie Harvey
Business Editor

On a typical day senior Dan Lentz wakes up at 5:15 am to get ready and gather together his book bag and gym bag to prepare for his ten hour school day. Once he gets home at 5:00 p.m. from a day of school work and sports it is time to eat dinner. By the end of dinner it is typically 6:00 p.m.; now he can finally start his homework before going to bed and starting the cycle over again the next day.

Playing two seasons of sports since sophomore year, Lentz understands the challenges of playing a high school sport while also tackling the work load of honors and AP courses.

When high school athletes get home, they are tired from their long school day and intense practice. Schoolwork is the last thing on their mind. However, often times they need to start their schoolwork right away instead of relaxing.

High school athletes sacrifice a lot more than just an afternoon after school. Most athletes practice during their free time after they get home, on weekends, and on days off. They also take time out of their busy schedules to travel long distances for games, participate in fund raisers, attend pasta parties, and attend banquets.

“The hardest part is managing your time wisely,” Lentz explains, “There are sacrifices you have to make in order to dedicate yourself to sports. With so much to do, it gets difficult to juggle it all, sometimes.”

As much as athletes would like to relax after practice, the work does not end until they have completed their homework too.

Despite the difficulty of playing a school sport, athletes believe that it is worth the time and effort. Putting so much time into something you’re passionate about can be very rewarding.

Many Neshaminy seniors have received the rewards of the relentless challenges: Dave Marrington won the state title in the 300m high hurdles; Fran Donato got recruited by a Division I university for lacrosse in junior year; Dave Moffit won the state title for bowling; D’Andre Pollard is going to a Division I university for football.

For Lentz, however, he was not able to run at the end of his senior spring track season due to injury. Although he missed out on track when he was injured he does not “regret putting so much time into sports.” Regardless of the outcome from spending so much time participating in a high school sport, it is rewarding.

Why is it so rewarding? The effort and sacrifice of student athletes is the driving force behind the success of Neshaminy sports teams. The effort and sacrifice of student athletes encourage exercise and physical health. The effort and sacrifice of student athletes create lifetime friendships.

The reward makes the work worthwhile. According to Lentz, “The most rewarding part of playing sports is being successful with your teammates. Realizing that all the hard work you put in is paying off is such an amazing feeling.”