“Jurassic World” set to hit theaters, draw high expectations

By Nicholas Hoffman
Archivist

In 1993 the world saw the emergence of a new kind of film, a science fiction movie based in genetic engineering and cloning that would become an all-time classic. In John Hammond, Isla Nublar, and the dinosaurs reintroduced there, Stephen Spielberg created a movie that was considered a masterpiece in animation and that would spark a reemergence in prehistoric interest and an entire series of Jurassic films.

Now, 22 years later, “Jurassic World” is set to hit theaters. Already 14 years since “Jurassic Park III”, “Jurassic World” has been in the works as “Park IV” for the past 11 years. Originally planned for release in 2005, the film has gone through many changes and filming drama.

The film returns to Isla Nublar for the first time since the original movie, and is actually set twenty-two years after the events of the first film. John Hammond’s dreams are fulfilled by another company, the ‘Masrani Global Corporation,’ which has created a fully functioning dinosaur theme park.
In an attempt to boost attendance, the Corporation creates a new dinosaur, the Indominus rex, created from the DNA of four large dinosaurs. In classic Jurassic fashion, the new dinosaur proves too much to be contained and prehistoric hysteria ensues.
This film has seen little praise through its reveals, perhaps rightfully so in the shadow of other movies coming out this year. The last movie in the series was not well-received, and it is not an uncommon fear that the new film will be similar. In addition, the visually overloaded trailer has brought people to fear that the film has gone overboard with computer-generated imagery (CGI). A needed technology for the Jurassic films, CGI has been increasing in its ability over the years and the production team seems to want to show off their new toys.

Also up to critiquing is the films’ continued play on the fears of the public. The first film took cloning to a frightening proportion, and this time Isla Nublar is back with genetic modification. As in the first film, science that has caused fear to the public is being tied in with monstrous dinosaurs to create a scintillating movie and inadvertently increase public fear of the specific science.

The advertising for the film is certainly top-notch, with a fully functioning website produced for the film. The site provides info about the film, about dinosaurs in general, and a store for film apparel. It provides a map of the “park” on a map of Isla Nublar, and has different film clips to get a view of the world of the film.

“Jurassic World” will likely not be another “Jurassic Park” level film, but it is doubtful that it will disappoint. With large dinosaurs, destruction, and astounding CGI, the film will be a show regardless of its plot content and quality. The movie premiers, and “the park is open” on June 12.