Junior softball player leads team to victory

By Liam Krimmel
Sports Editor

As a junior, Mackensie Compton is making her mark this season on the Neshaminy softball team. The girls are on a dominating streak in the Suburban One League and PIAA District One conference this season. Compton, alongside teammates Olivia Zaino (LF), Sam Offenbeck (P), and Nikki Wild(C), has made a great improvement over the last few seasons.

The girls are a PIAA 4A team and are considered as a respected team in the Suburban One League. Neshaminy recently had their game against Nazareth Academy where Compton went 2-4 hits and her solo homerun put Neshaminy in a very impressive lead.

Compton has been playing on varsity since her freshmen year and hasn’t looked back since. During her sophomore year, Compton finished her season by stealing 12 bases. Her hard work last year paid off and this year she will be the leadoff hitter for the season. During a recent game against Council Rock South, while Neshaminy was down during the game, Compton stepped up to deliver an RBI double to put Neshaminy on the scoreboard. The girls are now 5-1 in the conference and 9-1 overall in the state.

Mackensie also plays for Rock Gold, another club outside of school for softball players. Compton has been playing for about 10 years and has gotten better ever since. “My sister did it so that had a big influence. My mom wanted me to get on the field and get involved”.

Compton has shown herself as a great athlete and an overall leader towards her teammates. “I’m hoping to become a better leader for the team. Our biggest strength is how often our team gets together and communicates well,” she said. These strenghts have been evident in the teams successful season so far.

Before this season, Compoton had already been recruited by Providence College, for softball, a Division I school in Rhode, Island. “My greatest accomplishment has been committing to Providence College as a junior,” Compton said.