Engineering, Environmental science works together, creates bird homes

By Nicholas Hoffman
Archivist & Copy Editor

Neshaminy’s Manufacturing and Construction students are working at top gear to churn out bird boxes, both for the school and the community.

Gary Warlow, teacher of the class, was recently contacted by the Langhorne Rod & Gun Club to construct eight Wood Duck nesting boxes. As of April 11, four of the eight boxes were complete, delivered and installed by the club.

The Manufacturing and Construction class, designed to use wood, wood substitutes, metals and plastics to manufacture and construct today’s products, is tackling the challenge with enthusiasm, embracing the prospect of a group assignment for an outside source.

In addition to their Wood Duck boxes, the class is producing bluebird boxes for the Environmental Action Club. Warlow was asked by James Murray, Science teacher and advisor of the Environmental Action Club, to produce 20 bluebird boxes to disperse throughout the school grounds and within Idlewood.

“We’re just trying to establish a habitat,” said Murray, hopeful for the project and its implications. He continued, saying “The Environmental Action Club along with myself and Mr. Maloney will put up the boxes at various points on campus and then it will be an ongoing process to monitor the boxes, checking for invasive birds once a week until bluebirds are established.”

Junior Dave Terrell, Sophomore Mike Principale and Freshman Sam Nelms are all leading the production, a project that exemplifies the class as a whole and has environmental benefits as well.

Warlow is excited to engage his students in an outside project and to contribute to the community. Warlow said of the project “We’re teaching across the curriculum, hands on. In Manufacturing and Construction, we’re making the boxes, and just down the hall in Environmental science the project is helping Mr. Murray. They get to hang them and observe them.