Swimming team ready for another successful season

By Kyle DiFrank

The boys and girls from Neshaminy’s swim team have been training rigorously and preparing for the upcoming season.

The girls, led by captains Helen Shekhterman, Lizzy Miller, Angela Le and Taryn Harvey, are working hard to improve from last season. “The girls’ team has been growing in size ever since my freshman year and as a result we have been winning more and more meets. We have a lot of prospective athletes this season, such as Monica Lesson in the backstroke and Sam Ruppert in the butterfly; all contributing their time in order to make this the best season yet.” Miller said.

Last year, Miller finished third overall in the 200 yard freestyle and fourth overall in the 100 yard backstroke in the SOL national conference championships. Shekhterman and Miller were both part of the 200 yard freestyle relay that broke the school record and finished second overall in the SOL national conference championships. Even though the girls posted terrific seasons last year, they are working hard to improve.

The boys’ team lost several swimmers to graduation. Steve Keashon, Rob Giannini and Bobby Winther, all very talented swimmers, graduated last year. Captains Jason Bento and Sadik Canca will attempt to lead the team to success this season. “Our team has been putting a tremendous amount of work in the offseason, so I think we have a lot of potential” said Canca. Canca showed high praise for his teammates, especially junior David Kneiss. “Dave is loaded with potential” said Canca.

Kneiss, although not a captain, is one of the best swimmers on the team. Last year, Kneiss was on the school’s record-breaking medley relay. Last year, Kneiss also finished in fifth place overall in the 100 yard freestyle in the SOL national conference championships.

With a lot of contribution from talented juniors and strong leadership from team captains, the swimming teams are confident that they can be very successful this season.