Boys track athletes win league gold, have eyes on districts

By Jack Haines
Op-Ed Editor

Although graduation took the vast majority of their state-dominating sprinter contingent in Renard Howell and Cody Minnig, the Neshaminy boys’ spring track team came back with a superb strength in the mid distances and hurdles.

At the Suburban One League National Conference Track and Field Championships, Neshaminy athletes excelled. Although placing a less-than-satisfying 5th place overall, the team achieved multiple gold medals. Junior Dave Marrington, ranked among the best hurdlers in the state and nation, won
both the 300 meter hurdles (38.37 seconds) and 110 meter (14.78 seconds) hurdles.

Marrington came back to join his teammates Ben Matzke, Sean Conway, and Anthony Murray in the 4×400 meter relay, an event which was run in a downpour. The relay finished with a time of 3:27.52. All four members are underclassmen.

In the field, senior Will Dean won the pole vault with a mark of 13’0″ feet.
Conway, a member of the winning 4×400, narrowly missed gold in the open 400 meter. His time of 49.74 was second best to Pennsbury’s Charles Snorweah.
Among other notable scorers was Liam Dooley, who placed fourth in the 110 hurdles.

The athletes will turn the focus of their training to the PIAA District 1 Championship, run at Coatesville. The event takes place over Friday, May 16 and Saturday, May 17. From there the boys will do their best to qualify for the state championships, held at Shippensburg University the following weekend.