Perfect Stress: How stress helps us engage with surrounding world

By Shannon Byrne
Special Features Editor

As many of us high-schoolers know, stress is a part of everyday life and is generally seen as a negative part of our lives. However, as much as stress can harm us it can also be a good thing.

Stress, according to Dictionary.com, is a physiologic reaction by an organism to an uncomfortable or unfamiliar physical or psychological stimulus.

When the brain perceives a new stimulus, the sympathetic nervous system (which maintains your body’s homeostasis) releases three chemicals into your system: epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine and cortisol. These chemicals work together to initiate your body’s ‘fight or flight’ response.

This process when it’s frequent or intense can put you on edge and also make you sick. Stress in concentrated amounts can undermine your immune system and dry out your digestive tract which can lead to various harmful disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome. Stress also impairs your memory and leads to serious anxiety issues. It even eats away at your chromosome which can accelerate cellular aging, making you look much older than you are.

If the stressor is perceived as threatening and/or daunting your body initiates the ‘flight’ response and, as a result, you become excessively stressed. For example, you’re preparing for a presentation in one of your classes. You’re so stressed that you can’t sleep, this is a threatening stressor. Norepinephrine dampens the adrenaline coursing through your body and now you can’t remember what you were going to say and you become exceedingly anxious so you’re presentation suffers.

According to psychologist Wendy Berry Mendes in an article from Psychology Today, “Duration is key, but so is your perception of the external event. Do you frame the stressor as a challenge or a threat?”

The edge that the adrenaline, norepinephrine and cortisol gives you doesn’t only do bad things for your body. In small and manageable amounts these chemicals instantly make your heart beat faster, increases blood pressure, heightens your senses and blood glucose. This invigorates us and gives us the energy to take on the world.

The stressor that motivates us is called a ‘challenge’ stressor this stressor acts as a motivator. If we use the same presentation example, except this time you got enough sleep and the adrenaline in your system is dominant. It gives you the boost of energy and confidence you need to give your presentation successfully.