Athlete of the Issue–David Kneiss

By Reed Hennessy
Sports Editor

“I feel that this season went great, both for the team and myself, I broke a lot of personal records,” sophomore swimmer David Kneiss said. In his second year on the Neshaminy swimming team, through hard work and determination Kneiss has certainly made a name for himself early on.

“As a sophomore, he has established himself as a strong competitor in all High School Events,” said head coach of the swimming team and science teacher Brian Suter said. Kneiss has broken various records this year alone. Kneiss is a member of the 200 meter medley relay, in the freestyle anchor position, which broke the previous school record that was established in 1977.

Kneiss also broke the two minute barrier in the 200 meter freestyle, and the one minute barrier in the 100 meter butterfly. Overall the Neshaminy swimming team was stacked with great swimmers this year. Steve Keashon, senior at Neshaminy, is the first swimmer to qualify for states since 2006 and was also a member of the 200 meter medley relay.

“The older swimmers really make everyone feel confident and bring the energy level up,” Kneiss said. Kneiss also attributes his success to the expert coaching and dedication of Suter.

“He is definitely a great coach, knows exactly what he’s doing, he goes all over for us to seminars and meets, he really motivates us,” Kneiss said.

“David is one of the hardest working swimmers on our team. He never backs down from a challenge in practice. He is one of the first people to arrive and last person to leave daily,” Suter said.

Kneiss has already broke major ground in his two years at Neshaminy. Watching this young swimmer is certainly a spectacle to see.