Era of championship coaches come to an end

By Stephanie Harvey
News Editor

The legacy of three Neshaminy coaches is coming to an end as Mark Schmidt, Rachel Clemens and Kate Livingstone all announced their resignation earlier this year. While many are saddened with this news, the lasting impression they left on players and the community is one that will not be forgotten.

Coach Schmidt led Neshaminy’s football team for 20 years and has been a long time gym teacher before his February announcement to retire from coaching and teaching at Neshaminy High School. He has broken the school’s record for the most total wins as a coach – his record 161-66 – and also led the team to a state championship title and countless other titles.

“It was an honor to play four years under Coach Schmidt. He was more than a coach, he was a mentor who truly cared about his players and coaching staff,” Neshaminy running back and senior, Trokon Buesmaill, said. “I’m grateful for the countless lessons he taught me not only about football but about myself and I will always consider him family.”

Coach Clemens also left her mark on Neshaminy when she led the girls’ varsity soccer team in a 25-0 undefeated season last fall. The team “became the 2013 District 1 champions and 2013 PIAA state champions,” said Clemens.

This “a first for the Neshaminy Girls Soccer program.” The team was only the second in history to make such an unprecedented feat.

Although Clemens is resigning as coach she will not fail to remember the wonderful fans supporting her team and the players that made up the historical team. “I tried to give you my best each day and I believe that all of you did the same. We all worked hard, every day, to achieve the level of success that we did. I am so proud to have been your coach and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the memories…I will always be one of your biggest fans,” Clemens stated.

Another change to Neshaminy sports comes from the girls’ volleyball team with the resignation of Coach Livingstone after seven years. Livingstone looked back at the time with her team stating, “I loved coaching these kids, there just isn’t a better group of humans to work with. It’s hard to coach, teach and have a life outside of it all, but it’s great to end with a group like this.”

“[Livingstone] taught me personally everything I know and I can speak for everyone when I say that she was also an inspiration. Neshaminy volleyball won’t be the same without her,” senior, Molly MacDonald said.

Even though it is upsetting for many to see these three inspirational coaches are resigning from their positions, their legacy will always be in Neshaminy.