JROTC promising for Neshaminy

By Reed Hennessy
Sports Editor

“To motivate young people to be better citizens,” this is the mission statement of the United States Army Junior Reserve of the Corps. Recently, a survey of 260 senior and junior students was conducted asking only two questions. Would you join a “Military” Club at Neshaminy if one were to be established at Neshaminy?

Would you enroll in a JROTC (Junior Reserve of the Corps) class at Neshaminy if one were to be implemented? Of the 260 students, 72 students checked the Yes/Maybe option on the slip. The student body certainly has interest in a JROTC program or military club, before the school district can implement an Army JROTC program, that interest must be shown.

Therefore the beginnings of the Neshaminy “Patriots” club are underway. The club will be modeled after that of a JROTC class, emphasizing physical fitness, military history, military science and military discipline. The main goal, eventually, is to re-establish an Army JROTC program at Neshaminy.

Neshaminy used to have a JROTC program from the mid ‘60s to mid ‘70s. It was withdrawn due to low enrollment in protest to the Vietnam War. However, time has passed and the United States role in the world along with it. There is a new generation of teens walking the halls of Neshaminy, a generation of teens yearning to apply themselves, a patriotic, loyal group of adolescents.

The Neshaminy student body and community will benefit greatly from a JROTC program advocating and teaching good morals and physical fitness, it will only yield positive results. “I do not lie, cheat or steal and will always be accountable for my actions and deeds, and I will always practice good citizenship and patriotism,” is the official creed of an Army JROTC cadet.

The issue of cost will come up, but it is partly funded by the United States Department of Defense, the federal government subsidizes instructor salaries, cadet uniforms, equipment and textbooks. The instructors who are usually retired military personnel the specific branch receive payment from the Federal Government and in addition the schools pay the difference from what the instructor would receive if they were active duty. The service branch then reimburses the school for approximately half of the said amount paid to the instructor.

The relationship that Neshaminy currently has with the United States Army is clear, good and present. Recruiters can be seen walking the halls, in the cafeteria, and giving presentations to students interested in military careers or joining the Reserve for the Corps in college.

A common misconception among students and parents is that participation in a JROTC programs requires military service. This is not the case; in no way does taking a JROTC require a student to join the military after finishing high school. However, completion of a JROTC class will help a student prepare for service or a ROTC program should the student pursue these options.

“I think it would be a great benefit and program to have at Neshaminy,” social studies teacher and army retiree Mark Petrucci said.
The opportunities, curriculum and values the army JROTC program advocates are all incredible. The Neshaminy School District would be foolish to not have this program re-implemented into the high school.