Blood drive tradition continues saving lives

By Gauri Mangala

National Honor Society’s blood drive for the Red Cross is returning on Dec. 23. Held for over a decade, it has met great success in the past two years with over 200 donors at each event.

All students need parent permission and be 16 or older to donate. Forms are available before school and during lunch from members. After signing up, the person will receive a donation time.

NHS adviser, Kim Kelley is concerned about gathering participants since “it’s the last school day before break when many students will be leaving early for family vacations and, of course, rumors of the senior skip day,” Kelley said.

Any student that has a valid ID, or license should bring it on the day of the blood drive. Students and staff are strongly encouraged to drink plenty of water before their appointment.

Blood Drive T-shirts are available for purchase until Dec. 13. The cost is $10 for short sleeve and $12 for long sleeve. Sample T-shirts can be seen at any blood drive sign-up area.

“One person donating blood saves three lives,” junior Saje Breuer said.

Additionally, The drive will give scholarships to National Honor Society members. Depending on the number of donations given, the National Honor Society will be given funds. Kelley and co-adviser, Marisa Quaranta, will decide who in the National Honor Society will receive them.

Scholarships will range between $500 to $2,000 dollars, depending upon the number of donations given. Last year they received $1,500 in scholarship funding and three students were awarded $500 each.

“We provide the Red Cross with the students’ names and schools and they issue the check to them. These students are chosen based on the National Honor Society’s key attributes of scholarship, leadership and service,” Kelley explained.

“People should sign up because blood drives are a great way to help those in need. They shouldn’t be scared because it isn’t that painful and the reward is more lives being saved, which is awesome.” National Honor Society’s secretary, Brenna McGrath said.