Webb resigns from board, Congdon steps up

By Gillian McGoldrick
Editor in Chief and
Entertainment Editor

It was a routine realignment meeting – one in which had happened at the close of every year. But this year, a major change was to be put forth. Neshaminy School Board president Ritchie Webb resigned from his five-year position to begin Dec. 31.

His decision to step down from his place on the board in which he stood during the five-year teacher impasse debacle was brought forward on Dec. 2, to focus on his personal life.

This decision of Webb’s did not come about on a whim of boredom with the board, but a well thought-out plan to step down at the end of the month of December. “It was an extremely hard decision after ten years of service,” Webb said. “However, it was time for family and other projects in my life that I delayed.”

After Webb’s resignation at the meeting, he received a standing ovation from the community members that were in attendance, applauding all he had done for the district in the past ten years.

“I can’t express how honored I am to have such wonderful support as they thank me for my service to the community,” Webb said.

“Mr. Webb was a tremendous leader for the Neshaminy School Directors,” Superintendent of School’s Robert Copeland said.

“Very few people recognize his long hours of commitment and appreciate his extraordinary intellectual strengths.” Copeland also spoke of Webb’s undeniable commitment to the students’ of the district and his contributions to the district through his leadership.

The board elected fellow member Scott Congdon with a vote of 5-4 to fill his shoes as president and Irene Boyle as vice president. Also, Stephen Pirritano was sworn in after his recent election onto the board.

“Ultimately, the board and the NFT settled upon a contract that was best for the students – and that’s the single most important thing that came about from the lengthy impasse,” teacher and vice president of the Neshaminy Federation of Teacher’s union, Anne Schmidt, said, summing up Webb’s work for settlement of a contract.

The settlement of this teachers’ contract is one of many accomplishments Webb has contributed greatly in finishing. “I played a part in the re-construction of Neshaminy High School and Poquessing renovations, four years of financial stability during very trying times, negotiating all the current labor contracts- all of which I am proud to have been a part of.”

Over the past ten years, Webb has devoted himself to finding the best opportunities for the students of Neshaminy. He put up a firm defense for the taxpayers in all situations during his time on the board.

“I want to thank the Neshaminy community for the honor of allowing me to represent them and our children the past ten years,” Webb said.

Webb plans on staying active in the community, but at a lesser degree. “I am very proud to have served on the board of directors with some of the most dedicated men and women I have ever met,” Webb said. “I definitely will miss the people and the support they gave me during my time on the board as well as the involvement with the students and just being a part of such a great organization.”