Football:Bensalem devastated by Neshaminy

By:Reed Hennessy
Sports Editor

Friday night’s game resulted in yet another Neshaminy win, ending 49-7. Extending Neshaminy’s record to an incredible undefeated record of 8-0, with the regular season coming to a close Neshaminy’s playoff chances are becoming more and more of a reality.
While scoring seven touchdowns may seem like a huge margin of victory obtained over the whole game, six of those seven were scored before the half. “The Defense played really well; we started off sloppy allowing that one touchdown, but we got it together, also the offensive line and D’Andre Pollard did very well,” senior captain of Luke Carrezola said.
Neshaminy certainly did not take their sweet time scoring; the very first play, of the very first possession, running back D’Andre Pollard ran for a 50 yard touchdown completely breaking away from the Bensalem defense. Pollard would end the game with an outstanding 282 yards and scoring three of the seven touchdowns scored by Neshaminy.
After a short Bensalem drive that only lasted for four downs and would lead to Bensalem’s only touchdown after a booted punt return by Cole Craton. Pollard would again run on the first play for a touchdown, totaling 80 yards.
The Neshaminy defense managed to keep Bensalem from scoring the rest of the game. “We gave up that first touchdown, but we managed to answer them right back, and Coach French and Weidenbaugh made adjustments and each individual player carried out their jobs much better,” Outside Linebackers Coach Dave Ferrara said.
By the end of the first quarter the score was 28-7, senior quarter back Tyler Wombough managing a touchdown pass to wide receiver Hamiid Pack and Denny Lord barreling his way into the end zone on second and goal straight through the Bensalem defensive line.
At the beginning of the second quarter Wombough completed a 20 yard pass to Denzel Hughes, who consequently, ran it in for another touchdown bringing the score to 35-7. The second quarter for Bensalem proved to be even more uneventful for the Bensalem Owls, addled with incomplete passes and short gains it seemed as though the Owls couldn’t get anything going.
Just as the second quarter was coming to a close, Pollard ran for a 46 yard touchdown ending the half 42-7, Neshaminy had sealed their victory beyond doubt. Bensalem came out of the half and entered with a completely different attitude, de-moralized. The running game was ineffective as the Neshaminy defensive line stopped the running back before any major gain.
The third quarter proved to be the most uneventful of the game; the only touchdown was a 50 yard run into the end zone. By the end of the third quarter Head Coach Mark Schmidt had brought in the backups to finish the game out. The fourth quarter, essentially, coasted along quickly and the game ended abruptly.
“Friday’s game was great, but the next two weeks are really important, we need to take it one game at a time, now we are looking to go out and play our best against Abington,” Schmidt said. Neshaminy will be looking to extend their undefeated record to 9-0 next week at Abington.