Girls’ soccer begins kicking their way towards States

The Neshaminy Girls’ varsity team has been unstoppable: 14 out of 17 games ending as shut-outs, and an overall record free from loss. Now, after capping off their regular season with their pristine undefeated record and their second consecutive SOL Championship win, the team is off to the District tournament.

Like any great and memorable team, the girls’ wins have not come easy. The girls’ hard work, great coaching, and new formations have led the team to their immaculate record. “This year we switch between two different formations that give us an offensive spark and have scored a lot of goals,” Rachel Clemens, teacher and head coach of the girls’ soccer team, said.

The changes to the girls’ plays will be helpful as the girls venture into districts, especially after last year’s semi-final heartbreak.

“We have seven returning seniors that have seen what it takes to get as far as we did last year and they also have it in them to get to finals,” Clemens said. “This team has the perfect chemistry and team bond. They are also fun to be around… most of the time.”

The team’s last game of the regular season was against Pennsbury and ended as yet another shut-out of 5-0. The goals were scored by sophomore Gabrielle Farrell, sophomore Margaret Daeche, junior Francesca Donato, and two goals from senior and team captain Megan Schafer. This is a much different outcome from the first time the girls played Pennsbury: a 2-1 victory over the Falcons.

Clemens recalled the events of this game and said, “My favorite game was the first time we played Pennsbury this season because we actually came from behind to win it and this was the first time we did that for the 2013 season.”

Team captain Schafer is very optimistic of her team and their abilities: “One of our goals for this season was to win our league, and we did that successfully,” she said with pride. “The next step is to win districts. We got the number one seed, so we just have to play each game like it’s our last.”

This year has been more than just the empty Neshaminy goal post – the team has broken a few school records. “I think this season has been absolutely amazing: that we were able to be undefeated through the regular season which is a first time for me as a coach and also the first time for Neshaminy Girls soccer,” Clemens said.

The bitterness of last year’s outcome will keep the team humble rather than cocky of their spotless record. “We were so close making it to the state championship game, falling only one game short. We are going to do our best to go farther than we did last year,” Schafer said. “Our mindset is only one game at a time though.”

“I’m just excited we may get to go back to states this year,” Donato said. She is not alone in her hopes for victory this year as the team will try their best to progress into the finals. Under Coach Clemens, captain Schafer and through all of the girls’ conjoint hard work, the team hopes to continue their reign as number one as long as possible.