Class of 2014 adds class trip

By Rebecca Choi
Staff Writer

As a result of the successful dinner cruise on Junior Class Trip last year, a new trip has been planned for the Class of 2014. Neshaminy’s seniors will board the ‘Spirit of Philadelphia’ on Sunday, Nov. 10 at Penn’s Landing.

The semi-formal event will begin at 5:30pm when students board the ship. The officers decided it would be best to eat first—there will be a buffet—then to dance the night away. The ship will sail until 9pm.

While the trip was offered to the entire class, only 85 or so students will be going. The cost was $70 a person and despite the efforts of the senior officers, many students lacked awareness of the event.

The hardest part was not the organization or permission to have the trip, but “trying to get people involved. Not everyone listens,” senior class Vice President Calli Vasilarakis said. The officers went to every senior homeroom and handed out papers and forms—they even put it on Instagram.

“The biggest thing, the hardest thing, is the communication—I wish there was a way… Just getting them to know that these things are fun and they’re out there,” senior class Advisor Len Davis said.

He expressed his concern with the possibility of disappoint to his students, including the advisors. The class advisors work hard for the student body. They care about their classmates and that is why they do what they do. But it’s difficult to stay motivated when some kids just don’t care.

“It’s a shame… this negative attitude towards school… I get it. School is boring. I was there. I do it every day. We try to have these little lime lights… It’s not always slope of a line. I know that. I understand that this kind of stuff is what makes it memorable,” Davis said.

Some students don’t appreciate it, and that hurts. But Davis assures his officers some kids do really appreciate it. “I don’t care if it’s twenty—then there’s twenty kids who love the day,” Davis expressed.

Transportation will not be provided to Penn’s landing. The students are expected to drive down themselves or get a ride. The officers and Advisor Davis wanted to keep the price down for the students. Penn’s Landing is about a thirty-minute drive.

Near the end of the cruise, Justin Timberlake will be preforming in Camden, NJ. Students may be able to see and hear his opening acts. The trip lost a few seniors who will be at the Timberlake concert.

This will be the first trip of three for Neshaminy’s seniors this year. They will be going to a 76er’s game in February and a Phillies’ game in April.
Although less than originally expected will be in attendance, the trip will not be a bummer. “This will just be such a great memory for our senior class. It will be so special for us,” senior President Ton Do-Nguyen said.

“It’s going to be fun no matter what,” Vasilarakis affirmed.

“It’s something they missed out on—who ever didn’t do it… we’ll have the whole ship to ourselves,” senior class Secretary Shelby Lins added.