Class is in session. Remediation ready? Set go!

By Emily Martin

In the process of succeeding in the second attempt, or maybe even the first attempt at the Keystone Exams, math teacher Dave Calderbank and Principal Rob McGee talk about the understanding of these particular exams. The Algebra One Keystones are one of the three course Keystones you will take. The other two are Biology and English.

“The difference between the Keystones and the PSSA tests are that the Keystone exams are an end of a course assessment that students take after they have finished Algebra One, biology and tenth grade English. The PSSA was given to students at the end of the year and consisted of a broader range of mathematical concepts,” Calderbank said.

“The keystones are a part of a state federal requirement to test students on their knowledge and to test the school on the effort put into their teaching” McGee said.

“The Keystone exams are an end of a course assessment designed to evaluate proficiency in academic content,” Calderbank said. Beginning with the class of 2014, students must demonstrate proficiency on the Algebra one and Literature keystones in order to graduate.

Students will be offered multiple opportunities to take the keystones throughout their High School careers. The class of 2017 will be the first to have their exam scores on their college transcripts.

The Keystone Exams are constructed of multiple choice and constructed responses. Everything on these exams are taught in your classes, “Remembrance is key,” said McGee.

There will also be winner testing for those who have exceeded in lower grades along with the juniors taking the exams they have missed the years before. As far as help with Keystones, work with teachers be, responsible, by studying and doing homework. There are also “Help” sessions during study halls, as well as before and after school.

Preparing for these exams you should be diligent in Algebra and Literature. Practice the topics the teacher has taught in class and do not fall behind.
For the Algebra One Keystone, it is made up of two modules and each module is made of three assessment anchors. Each student needs to score at least a 1500 to be considered proficient.

“Go do your best, if you you’re having trouble come to us we will help you. We have a good plan to get you through your second attempt.” McGee said. “Try your best if you feel like you are struggling, Neshaminy offers after school and/or weekend tutoring that you can sign up for and get extra help” Calderbank said as he talked about the opportunities for struggling students.

As seen here, Neshaminy will walk students through every step of the way to succeed in passing the Keystone Exams, first or second try. “Just remember try your best” McGee said.