Farm Aid supports local farmers

By Brianna Spause
Social Networking Editor

The 27th annual Farm Aid festival took place at Hershey Park Stadium on Sept. 22. Tickets quickly sold out and the sales amounted to over 29,000. This has been the longest running benefit function in America, and in its course the concert series has raised over $40 million for direct aid.

Farm Aid Inc. board members Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp and Dave Matthews hold the benefit festival every year in order to bring much needed aid to local farmers in such a tough economic time. “I’m very sorry that we have to be here, because this problem should have been solved many years ago,” Nelson said.

The remainder of the lineup consisted of Kenney Chesney, Jack Johnson, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, Jamey Johnson, ALO, Peggi Young & The Survivors, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, and Dale Watson. Special guests also consisted of Tim Reynolds, Crazy Horse, Blackwood Quartet, Brent James and the Contraband.

All acts preformed free of charge, using the profit from tickets and merchandise to provide direct aid. Farm Aid Inc. works with the Farmer Resource Network to help family farmers get organized. The future of local farming requires the development of safe and sustainable methods, land access, fair markets, and energy sourcing. Money also lends to the education of young people. “We have to convince kids that the real future of America is to rebel, to be a farmer,” Young joked, “it’s a mission from God.”

The Midwest draught that took place during the 2012 summer months – the worst the United States has seen in over 60 years – has presented a major problem producing marketable crops and maintaining land conditions for future growing. Over 2,000 counties have been designated as crisis areas by the FDA as of September 12.

The recent draught situation added more fuel to the Farm Aid fire. The Homegrown festival, held outside the concert venue, provided it’s viewers with information on the harmful effects of land frakking, and how to support farmers in their hometown. The Good Food movement provided catering for the event, making a hit with their organic corn dogs.

“I think the state-wide community needs more public awareness about farms and their importance. Today we are so focused on technology and the growth of industrialism that we forget where our food and resources actually come from. There needs to be more light shed on farmers because they provide us with so many of our resources.” Senior Cydney Tanner said.

Good music, great food and helping hands filled the air at the festival. Hershey Stadium partnered in the activity by asking concert-goers to make Farm Aid a waste free event. Respective recycling bins and trashcans were nestled in every corner.

For more information, visit www.farmaid.org