Track stars shine, lead relay team to states

By Jack Haines
Archives Editor

Neshaminy High School’s boys track team may have had an average record. But their 4 x 100 meter relay is certainly above average.

The 4 x 100 relay, consisting of Bryan Reice, Austin Gardener, Ryan DePinto, and Cody Minnig has had an extremely accomplished season, ending  in a State Championship Silver medal.

The season had started off so-so for the relay. Although they had won their event at the Council Rock North duel meet, Pennsbury defeated them the next week.

That’s when the lineup was changed to it’s current form; Reice to Gardener to DePinto to Minnig.

From that point on the ‘Skins were nearly unbeatable, smashing meet records and bringing home gold medals from nearly all of their meets.

The relay team set meet records at the C.B. West Relays Invitational, The Montgomery Memorial Meet, The Rob Thomas Memorial Neshaminy Invitational, and the SOL National Conference Championships, meets in which they obviously won.

The victory at The Rob Thomas Neshaminy Invitational was a slower time, but was still impressive, as junior Minnig was on the class trip, and alternate Ron Smith had to replace him. He did so successfully.

At the Montgomery Memorial Meet at William Tennent the usual relay team ran the fastest time in the state ( at the that point) in 41.96 seconds and was the first team in the state to break 42 seconds this season.

The relay team came into the conference championships as the favorite, and didn’t disappoint. The 4×100 went 42.04, taking home the gold and setting the meet record. The relay team came in a close second to Strath Haven at districts with a time of 41.90.

At states, the team was defeated by Strath Haven again, but ran a school record time of 41.50 seconds and bringing home the silver medal. “I’m happy we went as far as we did. I couldn’t have done it with a better group of guys,” said DePinto.

The same athletes that are in the relay have also seen much individual success.

Reice placed first in the 100 at the Neshaminy Invitational with a time of 10.91. “It’s the best I’ve ever felt running the 100 meter and it was the adrenaline and getting out good that helped,” Reice said. Reice also placed first in the 200 meter dash with a time of 22.25 seconds at the Neshaminy Invitational and the 100 at the SOL Conference Championships. At SOL’s Minnig wasn’t far off, just barely being beaten by Reice. Ryan DePinto and Austin Gardener have both won at various meets as well.

These runners are an example of the teams performance over the season.