Junior Seau takes his own life, raises questions

By Vinny Frazzetto
Staff Writer

On May 2, 2012 retired linebacker Junior Seau was found dead in his home in California. He was 43. The cause of death was ruled a suicide, the result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. Seau was the fifth member of the 1994 San Diego Chargers team to take his own life. Since May 2, many questions have been asked, but many less have been answered; the most prominent question being, why would he do it and why in that fashion?

Drafted fifth overall in the 1990 NFL Draft out of USC, Seau was known for his relentless, passionate play. He amassed over 1800 tackles in his 20-year career, he was the leader of every team he played for, both emotionally and on the field play calling. Seau was a 12 time pro bowler and an eight time first team all pro. His number 55 will be retired into the ring of honor at Qualcomm Stadium, the home of the San Diego Chargers whom he spent 13 seasons with, during their home opener, Sept. 16. Seau was well respected by all players, according to U-T San Diego, former Denver Broncos quarterback, John Elway tweeted, “He played the game the way it was meant to be played”

Outside of football, Seau touched the community in ways the average football fan has no idea of including the Junior Seau Foundation. The goal of the foundation is, “To educate and empower young people through the support of child abuse prevention, drug and alcohol awareness, recreational opportunities, anti-juvenile delinquency efforts and complimentary educational programs.” Seau was the owner of a restaurant, which since his death has closed, a clothing line and is the host of “Sports Jobs with Junior Seau.” The 20th Anniversary Junior Seau Celebrity Golf Classic was held March 10-12, 2012, at the world-famous La Costa Resort and Spa.

While Seau was never reported to have suffered a concussion during his playing career, his ex-wife, Gina Seau said he did indeed suffer concussions. According to the Seattle Times, Seau said, “Of course he had [suffered concussions]. He always bounced back and kept on playing. He’s a warrior. That didn’t stop him. I don’t know what football player hasn’t. It’s not ballet. It’s part of the game.” Undrafted free agent and former Ohio State linebacker, Andrew Sweat refused to attend NFL mini camps spawning from his own fear of concussions.

The Seau family is allowing researchers to study his brain for possible damage due to CTE, or Chronic traumatic encephalopathy – a concussion related condition with depression stemming as one of the symptoms. It is believed that the location of the gunshot wound was Seau’s last message to the world, that he wanted his brain donated to science.

Seau transcended the game on the field as well as what it stood for off of it, his suicide has already affected the entire world of sports. More effort than ever is going toward the research of CTE in hopes that we never have an idol suffer again. Seau was a compassionate man, often referring to his loved ones as, “Buddy.”

He leaves behind an ex-wife, girlfriend and three kids. According to U-T San Diego, Chargers President Dean Spanos said in a statement: “We all lost a friend today. Junior was an icon in our community. He transcended the game. He wasn’t just a football player, he was so much more.” Seau’s effect on the sports world will be felt for years to come, and he will be missed. His number, 55, will be retired by the San Diego Chargers thus celebrating the great player