Male pageant raises money, evokes laughter

By Brianna Spause
Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 19, the third Annual Mr. Redskin Competition took place in the Theodore Kloos Auditorium. Hosted by seniors Kevin Murray and Hayley Buxton, ten male Neshaminy High School seniors took the stage to compete in formal wear, questions, talent, and sportswear.
Contestants were Darius Pleasant, Andrew Prieto, Joab Alexander, Zach Aberman, Dan McNamara, Khayam Malik, Jimmy Cooper, Tyler Green, Brad Johnson, and Joe Devonshire.

The judges were Principal Rob McGee, science teacher Eric Horchheimer, gym teacher Laurie Johnson, math teacher Cate Romano and seniors Ally Prencavage, and Christina Harman. The judges awarded a total of eleven points for fundraising, ticket sales, on-stage questions, audience votes and talent.

Student council Adviser Richard Kain described the competition as a talent/Mr. America pageant. Different on-stage demonstrations created a fun atmosphere for both the contestants and the audience. Over 400 people attended the show this year. “Each year it gets bigger and better, and this year lived up to expectations,” Kain said.

The on-stage questions gave students their chance to establish their sense of humor. When Devonshire was asked, “Who is your roll model, and why?” he provided a sarcastic response. “Mother Theresa, what she does for those orphans, it touches my heart.” When asked why he should be Mr. Redskin, McNamara responded, “I like turtles.”

Lasting longest of the performances, the talent portion was where candidates had their time to shine. Acts ranged from seemingly dangerous Tae-Kwon-Do to a montage of Just Dance 2 moves. All acts evoked a positive reaction from the audience.

Votes were cast at intermission; three points were awarded to the audience’s favorite and their vote was the deciding factor to the winner. Devonshire emerged with four points; Green tied Alexander with three, and McNamara with one.

“Even the losers had big smiles on their faces, and it seemed like everybody enjoyed themselves,” Kain said.

Devonshire took the win, thanks to his unique talent. He created the illusion of being a miniature man with a large dancing ability. This year’s Mr. Redskin was anointed with a typical beauty pageant sash, and a crown of feathers.

All proceeds of the event went to Devonshire’s choice of charity. In honor of his grandmother, he decided to donate the final total of $1,045.93 to breast cancer research. The foundation set to receive this donation has not been determined yet.

The class office hopes that Mr. Redskin continues to get bigger and better, and that the Class of 2013 is excited for next year’s competition.