Google goggles: the next leap in technology

By Jackie Henry
Copy Editor

Remember watching several sci-fi movies and wishing the technology was real and not edited props? Google is now making the impossible possible with Google Glasses, or computerized pair of glasses controlled with your eyes and voice that allows a person to take pictures, video, send and receive texts, and access GPS.
There is a lot of competition in technology advances between phones, mp3’s, laptops and tablets so companies are looking for ways to make the next leap in technology. Google is now launching the “Project Glass” which is still a work in progress to make the ultimate pair of glasses. They haven’t released the prices for their glasses, and the glasses are in prototype now. Google recently posted a video on how the technology would look like once they’re finished. Most of the internet are either stunned and overjoyed or skeptical.
Google is claiming that their technology will be able to do all the functions of a smart phone; make phone calls, play games, Facebook, and chat face to face. Not only with it be a wearable computer, but Google promises that the glasses could be laid onto of prescription glasses as well. That’s a lot to live up to, even when they are still developing the glasses. Project Glass has had plenty of hype over the internet, but critics say that Google will not be able to live up to the high expectations. The video Google released people say is overly optimistic for what technology can accomplish.
A few comments by critics is that the technology is expected to come too fast. It should take at least two years to fully design the glasses. Also the size of the lens might create limitations for the displays. A transparent display that can be visible from both out and inside could prove difficult.
Other concern is consumers are worried that the technology would distract people too much, where they wouldn’t even realize what their doing in real life. Most people don’t want to look idiotic walking around talking to their glasses. Although bluetooth already makes you look like you’re talking to yourself, it’s still a down fall. People in favor of the glasses actually say that they’re less of a distraction because they don’t have to pull out their phone of laptop to be connected.

Google claims the glasses will be coming out soon and they have created a Google+ account just for the Project Glass. On the account they are looking for consumer ideas for Project Glass so they can focus on what the public wants. Still, if Google goes through with their promises on Project Glass and the glasses look as they are advertised they might be the next step towards the future depicted in the movies.