AP testing should be optional opportunity

Advanced placement classes are designed to provide college-level instruction at the high school in various subjects, culminating at the end of the year with a national exam. Students who elect to enroll in such classes have the opportunity to earn college credits based upon their national exam score and the individual policy as decided by the college or university the student chooses to attend. As a class requirement, all Neshaminy students must register for and take the national exams in May. However, Neshaminy students are the only students in the area required to take these exams, as Pennsbury and Council Rock High School students, for instance, are highly encouraged, but not required to take AP exams if enrolled in these highly challenging courses.

The Advanced Placement courses are presented as classes that require extensive and intensive readings and writings in order to go into more detail in the respective subject. Each of the 34 subjects’ corresponding courses ultimately prepares students to take the national exam. However, some students, after sitting through their AP classes, realize that taking the national exams would be counterproductive as colleges and universities may not necessarily award credit for high AP test results.

Typically, students earning scores of 3 or better (on a 1-5 scale), earn credits and are able to bypass certain college course requirements. While many colleges offer such opportunities to award credits, some do not; therefore requiring undergraduate students to still register for general education courses. Neshaminy students continue to be required to register for AP exams, even though some may be entering college still having to take basic math, English, science, and social studies courses within the first few semesters. For example, an outgoing senior enrolled in AP Calculus may receive a high score on the AP exam, yet still elect or require enrollment in a first-year Calculus course in order to be prepared to take higher-level math courses, therefore signifying that the $87 it cost to take the exam will not necessarily equate to college credits. It may be that some students’ intent to taking the AP class is simply to increase their overall grade-point averages in order to improve class ranking, not for the national exam.

As a whole, the AP program is demanding; students are required to complete a heavy amount of coursework in order to prepare for the exams in May. Neshaminy takes steps in order to prepare students by providing supplemental review materials and giving a practice, or mock AP exam, and grade it as the final exam for the course. But, in some cases, no matter how much studying takes place, some students do not feel entirely equipped to take AP exams. Before one enrolls in an Advanced Placement class, Pennsbury explains to its students in the 2012-2013 Program of Studies, “In May of each year, students in the AP Program are encouraged by Pennsbury to take the AP examinations of the College Board.” After sitting in the class for the school year, students should feel prepared and confident in themselves to absorb the material in order to perform to the best of their abilities on the national exams.

Requiring a student to take a national exam is all well and good, except when students do not feel fully prepared and ensure themselves that they will not perform well on them. If a Neshaminy student feels that he or she understands the material but is not fully prepared for the AP exam, the option to opt-out should then be available. The students should be highly encouraged, but not required to take the AP exam at the end of the school year.

Neshaminy scores have seen some declines in the past two years. Although 369 students took AP exams in 2011 and there was an increase in the total number of exams taken that scored a 5, there was also an increase in the number of tests that scored the lowest possible score of 1. Approximately 18% of tests were scored a 1 in 2011, as opposed to only 12% in 2010. This is possibly due to a lack of preparation or motivation to take the exams as a result of the mandatory requirement to be assessed.

The AP national exams do have their many benefits. For one, the AP program introduces high school students to college-level coursework that would typically be presented in a 15-week semester, as opposed to a 30-week school year. This exposure to the rigor of such courses puts things into perspective, and demonstrates the clear divide between high school and college classes.

Additionally, AP students have the opportunity to potentially save thousands of dollars because they can receive college credits if high AP exam scores are ascertained. With tuition rates skyrocketing for 2012-2013 and anticipated rate hikes for years to come, students who ascertain credits from successful AP exams, it could equate to saving thousands as colleges and universities exchange the scores for credits to be put toward the required totals for graduation.

Students who enroll in AP classes challenge themselves by completing rigorous assignments with the ultimate goal to boost their grade-point averages, class rank, and placing out of beginning general classes within the first few semesters of college. While it is plausible for students in these classes to take the national exam in May, it should ultimately be each student’s election to pay the $87 exam fee and take their respective AP exams. Neshaminy’s policy regarding AP testing should be parallel to that of other area high schools that merely encourage students to strive to do their best.

This unsigned editorial represents the majority view of the editorial board.