Artist of the Issue: Stephen Hopkins

Prestige portraits

Steven Hopkins poses with his beloved french horn for his senior photos.

If you take a stroll through C-wing, past the Family and Consumer Science rooms, to the room with the band instruments, soundproof rooms, and the students who sell chocolate in the fall, you will probably find a senior in one of those rooms practicing his french horn or cello. Stephen Hopkins has been honing his talents as a musician since he was in the third grade, and he hasn’t stopped.

“At first it was just something fun to do,” said Hopkins. “Now in high school I’ve learned that it’s a part of my life and something I always want to do.”

On the field, he marches with the french horn variant called the mellophone, making the best of each and every rehearsal. This dedicated musician has been recognized for his talents and contributions to the music department by being awarded with the Neshaminy High School Junior Music Award. During his freshman year he made the county band. While he was a sophomore and junior year he made the district band and orchestra, region band and orchestra, and all-state band. As well as the county band in his junior and the county orchestra his sophomore year.

“Stephen Hopkins is a very enthusiastic, dedicated and hardworking music student,” said Mike Lipton.  “He is a very talented musician who has excelled both here at Neshaminy High School and via outlets such as the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association where he has progressed to the All-State Band level the past two years. Stephen is an excellent role model for other music students and has been an outstanding leader in each of the ensembles that he performs in.”

Hopkins shows no sign of stopping at the high school level. He plans on pursuing a bachelor in education or musical education and continuing his love of music through performing at his chosen college.

“I go to many high schools around the state, whether it be for marching band or for a county ensemble and all the way up to all-states. Going to these events allows me to learn so much about my major and allows me to experience so much more than the average student at Neshaminy,” said Hopkins.

Anyone new to performing or band is bound to feel the butterflies of nervousness. It’s a normal human reaction. Hopkins advice to getting rid of those feeling is to“…Just do more. Audition more! Perform more! The more you do it, the more comfortable you will get.”