Students Vow to Uphold a Day of Silence to Speak on Behalf of the Silent

By Timothy Cho
Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, April 15, 2016, Neshaminy students vowed to remain silent throughout the entire day to remind others of the silence many LGBT+ students are forced to keep, whether out of fear of ostracization or inability for others to accept them. In a progressing America where LGBT+ rights are becoming more and more available and accepted the Day of Silence reminded students of the battle that has not yet ended for many students.

The difficulties one must endure to remain silent for an entire day represents the obstacles LGBT+ individuals face when it comes to their identity; many do not publically identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and etc as a large population of Americans are unwilling to peacefully and compassionately embrace these individuals for a myriad of reasons, ranging from religion to personal morals.

Neshaminy senior Forrest Filiano has participated in the Day of Silence for three years now, but is still overwhelmed by the long road ahead for the LGBT+ community. “There has been a huge amount of progress over the past few years, but the sad reality is that there is still a very long road ahead of us as a nation before we can achieve true equality,” said Filiano.

Over the past few years, the lesbian and gay community has achieved remarkable progress, but the transgender community has not received the same rights. Thus, even within the LGBT+ community, there exists a schism between the lesbian and gay community and the .”
transgender community. However, while they have internal conflicts, they are nonetheless united for general progress for the nonheterosexual community.

Sean Daly, advisor of the Spectrum Club, commented on the significance of the Day of Silence and its representation of the struggle the LGBT+ community has been burdening for centuries. “Ever since humanity formed civilization, nonheterosexual relationships between individuals were viewed as evil, sinful, immoral or unclean. Today, this stigma still sadly exists, despite better knowledge, and the LGBT+ community has been forced to endure this stigma.”

The Spectrum Club, aimed to provide an organization where LGBT+ individuals and allies can meet together and share support for one another. The Day of Silence thus represents the epitome of equality for the Spectrum Club, as the Day of Silence brings awareness to the LGBT+ community, and the fight for equality that has only just begun.