How to Choose the Right College

Timothy Cho, Editor-in-Chief

For many seniors, the college application process is nearing its end, with deciding where to attend from the college(s) that accepted them as the final step. While some seniors have definitively decided on where they will attend college, there are some seniors who are still debating between various schools, as well as underclassmen already planning ahead for their college applications.

When it comes to comparing which colleges and universities are most compatible with the students, they should keep a general, broad view towards all of them. There are some obvious factors to incorporate, like academic vigor of the curriculum, location, student body size and dorm options, but there are also other, often-overlooked, variables that are just as important, such as availability of professors and their willingness to assist struggling students, student-to-professor class size ratio, general political views and how happy alumni are with their undergraduate education.

College is not for everyone, as some students plan on entering the work force, joining the military or taking a gap year, but for those who do choose to attend college, it is imperative to remember that there is more to college than academic success or attending the most parties. College is a stepping stone for young adults to gain knowledge, skills and experience in order to transition into the adult world as smooth as possible. Thus, determining where one goes to college plays an important factor in what the future looks like for college graduates.

Another point to keep in mind is that where one goes to college does not guarantee a certain lifestyle; like in high school, it is up to the student to earn their success. But, college provides an enormous amount of opportunities and resources not available for high school students, making it easier to explore new areas of interests and pursue new goals.

As a result, it is important to research each potential college that a student might apply to, because while one college may provide a rigorous academic curriculum, it may also provide little opportunities outside the classroom, ranging from student-run activities to schoolwide events.
A balance between factors is more important than prioritizing a few key features, because ultimately, attending college is more than going to class and learning. While learning is important, it is also important to meet new people, forge new relationships, gain new interests, learn new skills and become a better human being. All of these objectives are part of what it means to grow up.

College Board’s website provides an excellent search tool that filters colleges and universities based upon the student’s own preferences in different interest areas, ranging from location and campus size to gender distribution of students and ethnic diversity. College data providers, like Niche and Princeton Review, often evaluate colleges and universities with one another on a standardized scale, looking at each campus’ location, faculty, reputation, national rankings, internship opportunities, campus food quality, parking availability and more.